PDA

View Full Version : Is Red Diamond "weeker" than other variants?

Torben
02-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi,

I have in my tank 5 red diamond, 4 blue diamond and 3 pigeon blood. I have experienced a lot of problems with my fish lately which I have never experienced before. And it concerns only 4 of the 5 red diamond :thumbsdown:. None of the other discus are sick or easy to stress.

So my question is this: does anyone have experience or knowledge concerning different strains and their resistancy towards illness? Is red diamond weaker than others? ???

Thanks,
Torben

SnowCichlid
02-02-2003, 04:49 PM
I have not heard anything implying that they would be significantly less stable than others. I would say that it is either mere coincidence or either the fish you recieved were from a poor source
hope things get better for you

Torben
02-03-2003, 04:45 AM
We can rule out the poor source since all my fish come from the same breeder which are producing generally very healthy and perfectly shaped fish. It may be mere coincidence but I just thought it was strange.

Torben

02-03-2003, 09:34 AM
I wouldnt single out any one strain of discus and call it "weaker"....it's purely dependent on the breeder of the fish IMO. Weakened strains/types can develope with poor selective breeding and not outcrossing to strengthen the gene pool.

Tony

black rat
02-03-2003, 10:42 AM
I don't know of any weakness,
if there was surely it would have had the effect on all 5?

Torben
02-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi Black rat,

Actually the fifth is a cross between red diamond and a german red turqoise and perhaps this could mean something? I am not saying that red diamond actually are weaker than others. I just wondered since I had experienced this rather dramatic :-[ incidence with my red diamonds.

Torben