PDA

View Full Version : Recovering discus...what do I do now?

nazangels
02-03-2003, 08:00 PM
I have a red turquoise snakeskin male discus, about 5 1/2" that I've had nothing but trouble with for about a year now. I got him as a youngster at a lfs and he's grown into a nice looking fish. He's recently been hospitalized for what looked like a fungal infection, but seems to be recovering after being quarantined in a 10-gallon tank at 90 F with 2 tbs salt/gallon and 50% water changes daily. He has some other health problems including hole-in-the-head which seems to be healing slowly. My question is this...how long should I keep him in the warm water with salt? Seems that every time I put him back in the big tank with the rest of my discus, he comes down with something else. The others seem to stay healthy. I'm worried about him this time because he's paired up and spawned several times, but after each spawning he comes down with something that requires me to take him out of the big tank. I hate to leave him in such a small tank for too long, but he is definitely feeling better in there. Any help would be appreciated! Beth

BlueTurquoise
02-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi Beth,

How long has he been in isolation? 10 Gal is small but with proper filtration and water changes he should be ok...

Chong

Carol_Roberts
02-03-2003, 10:05 PM
If he has HITH have you done a metro treatment?

nazangels
02-04-2003, 12:56 PM
He's been in the 10 gallon about 8 days. I have a sponge filter and a small Penguin power filter running in the tank, plus the 50% water changes every day. He seems happy and is eating really well. His poop is dark and looks healthy also. I treated the large tank he was in with metro about a month ago. Should I repeat the metro treatment just on him?

nazangels
02-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Oops! I just realized my first post said I was using 2 Tbs. salt/gallon of water. What I meant and I'm sure you guessed was I'm using 2 Tbs. / 10 gallons of water! YOW! :-[