PDA

View Full Version : white spots

Patsy G
02-04-2003, 01:59 AM
Hi everybody,
My tank of four discus has been healthy and stable since August. But I noticed several days ago, the smallest discus in the tank has two small white fuzzy spots on her tail fin. This has occurred before and cleared away on its own. But today, there are more on her other fins. Altogether there are seven spots. This looks like a fungus as the spots are raised and fuzzy in appearance. The other fish are not affected. I've been doing a 50% water change weekly, adding 1 1/2 tsp. salt/5 gallons water with the changes. By reading through the other conversations, I believe that I should be increasing the salt and my water changes on at least a temporary basis. Should I also raise my tank temp? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Patsy

Carol_Roberts
02-04-2003, 02:37 AM
We don't know how big your discus tank is, if it contains other fish, or if it is bare bottom or gravel. We don't know if you feed beefheart or only flakes. I can assume you don't have plants as you sstated you keep 3 tablespoons of salt per 10 gallon in the tank at all times.

The four discus have been in the tank since August. You do a 50% water change once a week. IF you have a big enough tank that may have been OK when the fish were little. I assume they have grown over the last 5 months.

You have a water quality problem that has caught up with you.

I'm guessing you need to clean the tank and filter (rinse media in used tank water so as not to kill the good bacteria)Do water changes every day.

Discus are not brackish fish. Salt is to be used here and there as a little pick-me-up. You don't keep salt in their tank 24/7.

Have you notice cloudy eyes or opaque areas on the fins?

If you have gravel it could be the biggest culprit. Gravel hides all kinds of food and feces.

Patsy G
02-04-2003, 03:02 AM
Thank you Carol,
Yours is a new face to me on this site. My tank is 45 gallons with four fully grown fish, I think. They range from 4" to 5" long. Yes, I have a significant amount of gravel in the tank - approximately 2". I have only the four discus in there. I will admit, that I have also developed a bit of an algae problem on the rocks in the last few weeks and this is a new condition to the tank. I feed freshwater mysis and offer live redworms for treats. There are no plants. That was three teaspoons of salt that I've been adding to ten gallons. I've been changing the filter charcoal on a monthly basis and rinse my foam filters in the water from the tank when I do my weekly changes. The fish have consistently looked to be in a top quality condition since I've had them, showing good appetite and curiousity. Their skin and fins are clear (all but the one I've described). The two females lay eggs about every ten days. I assume the other two are males, not yet mature. There has been times, that I've questioned if the eyes appear cloudy on some, but I think they are normal.
Do I need to remove all the gravel. These daily water changes - 30%?
Thank you for your quick reply.
Patsy

Francisco_Borrero
02-04-2003, 01:17 PM
-I would say removing all the gravel is indeed a good measure.
-30% daily water changes should be a substantial improvement.
-I would remove and eliminate permanently the carbon in the filters.

I Hope things improve. They should.

Cheers, Francisco.

Carol_Roberts
02-04-2003, 08:53 PM
I agree with Francisco, BUT you need to be carefull removing the gravel. The gravel is full of bacteria.

You will need to put the discus in another tank or a couple of 5 gallon buckets with airstone BEFORE you remove the gravel. You will be amazed at all the gunk that is stirred up. You will also need to have 40 gallons of warm, pH stabilized water to put back in the tank after cleaning.

Maybe you could get a big plastic garbage can, fill with water, aerate and heat for 24 hours, then put your discus it in it while you clean out the 45 gallon.

You'll find your discus really respond to the daily water changes.

Patsy G
02-04-2003, 09:08 PM
I just wanted to mention that, in my weekly water changes, I've always vacuumed the gravel really well. I didn't think it would harbor so much bacteria under those circumstances.
It's more than just gravel - it's my rock collection and I really like the looks of the combination of that with my discus fish.. I appreciate your advice.

Patsy G
02-05-2003, 05:39 PM
...just an update. After three days of daily 25% water changes, the spots are almost totally cleared up. Everybody's looking absolutely perky!
I wish there was a middle ground that didn't require me to be so zealous in that I must do daily water changes and keep only a bare bottom tank, but I guess the fact that a problem occured answers that..
I vow to take more time in target feeding, to eliminate the occurance of food getting lost on the bottom and will do more water changes (but maybe not daily)
...I'm getting it.
Again, thanks for the assistance.
Patsy

Patsy G
02-06-2003, 01:26 AM
a further update..
The affected fish is showing visible improvement in the spots and day 3, has laid eggs. She's feeling better!
If you don't mind explaining, I wonder why the recommendation 'no carbon'. That's a new one to me.

02-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Patsy, The two white spots are parasites many refer to as "Hitchhikers " They are easily rid of with increased heat . You have been given excellent advice here

As for the carbon removal: Carbon is non-specific a sto what it removes. It will remove important trace elements necessary to good discus health. Joe ;)

Patsy G
02-06-2003, 02:19 AM
Oh...
Does the 'no carbon' advice lend itself to all fish husbandry?
I have an eclipse filter on my discus tank. The system includes a bio-wheel and replacable carbon inserts. In an effort to improve it, I have put some chunks of sponge on top of the charcoal.. Will the sponge and bio-wheel alone be adequate?
What temp. do you suggest to get rid of the parasites?
Sorry, I have one more question. It was mentioned earlier that I should not use salt with my daily water changes, but only as needed, to treat illness. Is that correct? -no salt except for when they get sick?
Thanks Joe.
Patsy

02-06-2003, 02:24 AM
Patsy, I would not use carbon except to remove medication in any tank. No salt unless treating--Makes hardness shoot up! Temperature can be raised to 88-90 degrees to get rid of parasite. Increase aeration whenever raising temps. Joe ;)

Patsy G
02-06-2003, 02:29 AM
Hey, thanks for that advice! That's clear enough..
Patsy

(I'm off for some quality time with my fish)