PDA

View Full Version : Trying again.....

bikhu
02-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am in need of some advice and direction. Please be gentle with me as I am a very naive newbie with slow scientific cognition! I have had some real difficulty so far with this new hobby/addiction/heartache! :'( I am down to 2 - 3.5 " fish in a 55 gal. The pH is 7.0 , 86F, 0 Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. I change 20 gals daily with aged heated matching water. I am getting ready to order some fish from Cary and of course plan to qt but I am wondering if it makes sense to transfer my 2 remaining fish into my 15H qt and put the 6 0r so fish that I get from Cary into the 55. If so what do I need to do to prep that tank for the arrival of the new fish? :-\ :-\ ??? ???

bikhu
02-06-2003, 01:46 PM
By the way...
Cary, if you read this feel free to call me at home and I will call you back...
Thanks
Peter

02-06-2003, 02:35 PM
bikhu,
Myself I would leave the fish where they are. It is alot cheaper to treat in a 15 gallon tank rather than a 55 gallon tank. You would be better off with a 30 gallon tank, with 80% daily water changes thru the Quarn. time.
Why have your other fishes passed on? The reason I ask is maybe, just maybe you have a problem in that tank and it needs to be fixed prior to getting more fish. It will save alot of greif on down the road.

IMO
Miles

Carol_Roberts
02-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Your 15 gallon tank is pretty small. Your 3.5 inch fish should quickly outgrow the 15 gallon and in any event would need large daily water changes. The 15 would be too small for 6 juveniles from Cary.

A 29 gallon is the perfect QT or breeder tank. I would buy a 29 first, then if you get little babies from Cary they could stay in the 29 the full 4 -6 weeks. If you get bigger babies they could go in the 55 and your remaining pair could go in the 29.