PDA

View Full Version : New to discus.

Daniel_SR
02-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi all! Last sunday i brought home three young discus. They're already eating, but not looking for food. They eat just if i throw the food near them. They havenīt been swimming around, most of the time they are stucked in some corner. I know discus are a little bit sensible about changes, but i just want to be sure i'm doing it right. My tank is not a bared bottom, and i have lot's of plants.

Here are other params:
temp : 82,4
ph: 6,6
Kh:1
Gh:2
It's not RO water, but tap water.
water changes: 20% twice a week

Thanks for your help and sorry for any mistake on my writing, but english is not my home language.

Daniel

Ryan
02-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to Simply. I am not an expert with water, but are those your water params after you age your tap, or are those params straight from the tap? Does your pH stay stable in the tank? Normally with water as soft as yours, pH crashes can be a problem.

For young discus, 2 - 3" I would raise the temperature on them since they are newcomers. Bring it to about 86 - 88F.

Sometimes it takes discus a while to settle in. Also, the younger fish do better in groups, so with only 3 of them they might not feel secure right away. If the fish eat it is a good sign. Watch for signs of a problem--dark color, clamped fins, no eating, etc.

I'm sure others will comment on your post but those are some things that came to mind when I read it.

Ryan

Ralph
02-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Bem-vindo Daniel, tem otros brasileiros aqui. And your English is great.

You are lucky to have that water.
Just like Ryan said, turn up the temp, watch for signs that thing are not going well, and buy some more discus. It might be a change in diet too, find out what they were being fed before and give them the same. Later you can work in other foods.
Ralph

Daniel_SR
02-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi guys, thank's for your answers! Itīs always great to hear from who has been on the road a little more time than me!
Ryan - those params are right from my tap. The only thing that i change with the aging processes is the ph. But it`s been the same a while. I rather not to modify Kh to avoy some kind of crash, because iīm afraid to cause more harm trying to change it, than keeping it.
Ralph - yes, i`m going to raise the temperature a little more, just as Ryan said, and thanks for your feeding adivices.

Thank's a lot!

Daniel