PDA

View Full Version : ViaAqua - HELP!

Anna Piranha
02-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I am absolutely out of my mind! I did a water change and cannot - really CANNOT - get my filter to start working again. I have had the damn thing since September and I haven't had this trouble. Here's what I have done so far:

1) disconnected the hoses and cleaned them.
2) reconnected everything
3) turned the damn thing on
4) Did the awful suck-on-the-output tube
5) practically puked
6) watched as no water came out of the output
7) ensured that there is water in the cannister
8) repeated steps 1-7 with the damn thing off
9) gave up

Please help me if you can! This has been going on for 2 hours now.
:bomb:

brewmaster15
02-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Anna,
Deep breaths....

Now, I'm not familar with that filter, but if it has an impeller, try to physically turn the impeller, and wipe out the area where it spins.This can get bound up.

Check the power supply/surge strip to be sure you didn't trip a fuse? (even most surge strips have their fuse, reset.) When you turn it on, do you feel any vibrations indicating its getting power?

-al

Anna Piranha
02-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Thanks Al. I'm going to go try your suggestions. I'll be back on line in a little while to report my progress.

BlueTurquoise
02-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Hi Anna,

Sorry to hear of your problems with the cannister...

does the impeller even spin? it may just be the impeller head. Check that it's not dammaged in terms of the plastic fin part of the impeller.

I also found sometimes if there is a minor air leak of some sort on the intake hose esp and the whole seal of the unit it won't pump much at all. I am not familiar with your cannister but my old Eheim won't start unless the whole unit is air tight.

Not sure if that helps but I thought I'd try... Good luck!

Chong

PS. Nice avatar pic by the way!

fossil
02-10-2003, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure about this filter but if its anthing like a Aqua Clear sometimes you need to pour water in the filter when you turn it back on this will help the filter motor so it doesn't have to work as hard getting water back up the in take tube.

-HTH

BlueTurquoise
02-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Hang on Anna, is it a Cannister filter or a Hang on the Back like an aquaclear?? ???

7) ensured that there is water in the cannister

I thought you meant that it was a canister...

If it is a AC like, hang on the back sort, then you need to completely fill the filter up with tank water. I use a ice cream container to fill the entire AC filter up with water before starting it up.

Chong

Anna Piranha
02-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks Everyone! It is a canister and I took into consideration everyone’s suggestions. The good new is that I found the cause! It was the impeller. Up until yesterday I didn’t even know that I could access that part of the filter. Sounds stupid, I know, but It appeared to be contained in a welded plastic piece. Turns out there was no welding, it was just ENCRUSTED. Not slimy or filled with crap, just coated by this gritty crusty stuff. Probably left over from my cooking oil debacle. I had to use steel wool to get this stuff out. Not to worry, I rinsed thoroughly. After a vigorous cleaning the impeller kicked in and the filter worked beautifully.

It bums me out, though, because I clean the filter once a week. Bad stuff like this shouldn’t happen to good fish people
:thumbsdown:

brewmaster15
02-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Hi Anna,
Glad it worked out. Heres a future note for you on cleaning it....

During your maintenence cleanings. Take out the impeller, and put some baking soda in its housing, Use a plastic bristle brush or q-tips to "scrub " then do the same for the impeller.

Next add white vinegar and repeat--it'll foam lots... then rinse well. This will help keep it turning smoothly.

take care,
al

ps... this cleaning tip works on any impellar housings and assemblies.

Carol_Roberts
02-12-2003, 01:47 AM
Canister filters :thumbsdown: >:( :-X >:( :thumbsdown:

RAWesolowski
02-12-2003, 05:29 AM
Funny thing, I was telling my wife that I need another tank just to use up our old toothbrushes for cleaning the fittings...

April
02-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Lol . did she buy that good reason? hope so.

Jason
02-12-2003, 09:47 AM
haha I just use my roomates, brush the dogs teeth with it too!

fossil
02-12-2003, 11:05 AM
LMAO, Jason. ;D