PDA

View Full Version : Using Peat - good or useless?

Marksor
02-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Can I get your thoughts on using Peat? I am experimenting with my water chemistry, and thought that it may be of value to try Peat. I notice it is expensive at the LFS - $14 for a small box from Fluval. The Peat you use with fishies is not the same as Peat Moss from Home Depot, correct? Just trying to understand if there are lower cost sources available.

Also, I think I am getting this water chemistry stuff sorted out:
GH = I increased my GH from 1.0 °kH to 8.0 by adding Coral to my Filter, and having water filter through. I understand that Epsom Salt will also increase GH, correct?

For KH, I understand that Baking Soda may increase KH (my current KH = 1.0 °kH)

Thanks for any advice ....

Carol_Roberts
02-11-2003, 12:46 AM
Peat works with low GH. I'd shoot for GH 3 or 4. With your low KH you won't need peat. Your problem will be keephing pH from crashing . . . . .

ChienHsu
02-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi! Carol:

How do I lower the KH and will peat help? My water KH is about 3 and ph = 7. I can not lower the ph. Each time I tried to lower ph (saying 6.6), it came back to 7 within 30 mins.

Thanks

Chien

Smokey
02-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Howdey Chein:
I have been using peat, exclusively, to treat my discus water now for the last 3 months. [ I fried my r/o membrane].
Peat- Canadian Sphagnum moss, distributted by Sun Gol, Bellevue, WAsh.. Sold under the brand name(in Canada) as Sunshine Peat Moss. A bale is about $3 - $5.00. Excellant stuff.. rated as the Best in the world.
Here is what I do > take a 5 gallon bucket; with a very tight fitting lid. Fill the bucket with peat moss. The trick is to let the water flow through the peat moss.

On the tight fitting lid - I installed a fill fitting - and a pipe to take the water down to the bottom of the bucked/ peat.
Following me so far ? O.K.

Now the tricky part - the water exit > so as not to let the peat flow out with the water, I placed, on top off the peat, a piece of knitting mesh , a 1" fine foam, and on top of all this - a round piece of egg-crate . This keeps the peat from flowing out through the exit fitting.
. The exit fitting - any type of fitting should work - just make sure it is large enough so pressure does not build up in the bucket..... OR BOOM.... one he** of a mess. I used a 1"cpvc fitting. A 1' bulkhead fitting will work also. Drill the bucket top > instal the 2 - fittings; one for water in / one for water out... pretty simply , eh!!!

The water flow RATE = , I use about 10 gallons per hour; seems to work well[ any higher flow rate and the lid looks like it is going to fly off]ps[ i also use a strap to secure the lid]. A slower flow rate - no problem.. this equates to the time the raw water is in contact with the peat.

I found 5 gallons of peat will condition about 90 us gallons - before exhausting.

P.S. >>>> bonus > the water can be runn at any temperture - I run mine at 90'F... that way it is ready to add; after treating for chlorine/ammonia; and aireating; to my Discus tanks.
HTH

Smokey

Ardan
02-16-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi Smokey,
I am curious as to your wate parameters before and after the peat.
Like GH, KH, Ph. I think peat works better in softer water to start with. jme. But was curious as to your experiences.
Thanks for sharing
(don't you have that good Rocky Mt water? ;D 8))

Smokey
02-18-2003, 05:18 AM
Howdey Arden; sorry for the delay. I have been busy setting up tanks. just bought a bunch of baby discus from Darcy H.( see member to member - a trip to remember for details)

My Rocky Mountain water is liquid rock: treated and filter by the village. Thw water is from an undergroud river.
Raw Water specs:
pH = 8.5
GH = 450 ppm
KH = 400 ppm

Peat filtered water:
pH = 6.0
GH = ~45 ppm
KH = ~ 15 ppm

I will say one thing PEAT WORKS !!!
I run the water through the bucket at 10 gallons per hour; at 90'F. Doesn't sound like much, however any higher flow rate and the 5 gallon bucket looks like it wants to ""EXPLODE"".
I plan on using a stainless steal container, 5 gallon, I build a few years back. Then I will put the water through it.

Any way hope I answered your question.

Smokey
P.S. - I am in The Alberta Rocky Mountains.... lots of limestone. I moved here for the purity of the water, its easy to soften water and this water has never been pissed in. LOL..

Ardan
02-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks Smokey!

I never saw such good results with the peat. Guess you you a good technique.
Thanks again

RandalB
02-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Here's a good link for a DIY peat filter,

http://www.marksfish.f9.co.uk/diy/peat.htm

Mark has some great discus and some even better ideas.

HTH
RandalB

ChienHsu
02-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi! Smokey:

Thanks for sharing your setup. Can you show a picture. It will help me to understand more. Thanks

Chien

02-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Hey Smokey

Im really suprised at your results....for the most part Rocky mountain water is a complete pita IME.
Im glad its working for ya though!
My first thought was that at 5gal of peat per 90 gals of water....you must go through a metric sh#tload of peat!! Youve got a bunch of tanks dont you?

Tony
Oh....and if I hear a LOUD explosion out west....I'll know its your peat bucket gone wrong ;)

Jason
02-19-2003, 05:26 AM
I'm preety sure Smokey is post-filtering his RO water to drop the ph, not peat treating tap water

02-19-2003, 07:18 AM
I dont think so Jason :P Smokey said in his first post he "fried his ro membrane" ;D

Tony

Smokey
02-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Howdey you all;
RandalB. - your buddy is third party . and please do not solicate somebodies elses fish / equipment.

The water is post filtered - the r/o membrane is only a filter right now. DO NOT PUT 130"f. WATER THROUGH A R/O MEMBRANE... a mistake that happened because of someones eles's "" GUARENTINED EQUIPMENT"". YOU know who you are !!!
For all you non-believers.. commericalizism makes the cash register ring.

Sorry for the loud outpurst.. However I have seen so may people discourged because of some-one- eles greed.
buy my product.. re-marketing.. it is the best/.

What I have expierenced is an all-natural-way- to - produce - discus - water ... NO CHARGE.. unless you want to sent me $0.25; I may be smart; but I am cheap !!!

No pictures - available. Just get a 5 gal. bucket. and I will instruct you how to build a peat ""bomb"" water conditioner.. If you are truely interested.
RE-MARKETERS,, NEED NOT APPLY.

this is a freeby.

As for the results.. consistant test results tell the truth. Five months worth!!!

As for discus growth.. well , mine are doing very well, no dieases, no paracites, no fungus , no hype!!!
I invested in shipping discus from Australia, dam if I am going to let them die because of someones eles's ignoranct commerical brain-washing.

Smokey
P.S. > I just purchased a school of baby discus; bred and grown in ""clear water"". { a very conscientant breeder, good parents }. Since their arrivail into my ""PEAT CONDITIONED"" water, well; personally I am impressed with their behaviour and spunk. Some future breed stock on the way!!!

Smokey

Jason
02-20-2003, 01:30 AM
Keep going Smokey! :thumbsup:

sorry Tony my mistake-got that selective reading thing :-[

April
02-20-2003, 02:35 AM
I think the Rockies where Smokey lives is gonna end up with a "natural Phenomenom " that has occurred over the centuries......that the rocks have turned into a huge peat bog!! Scientists will be coming from all over the world to study this great interesting occurrence!! we wont tell them its just some fish keeper who is throwing his discard peat out the door.....wait till its hit the believe it or not book etc. and has been written up in study notes etc. then we;ll break it to them.

RichieE
02-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Ive used peat on and off 3 times over the last year. I use peat pellets in a Rainbow canister and circulate for 6 hours as I bring up the temp of my aged water. My origional reason for doing this was to lower the ph which it does; from 7.2 down to 6.9.
Each time I started useing it I triggered a spawn. On the down side it raised the conductivity to 300 + which I feel could be the reason I have not had wrigglers yet.
In answer to your origional question if you have time to control and moniter your water (the peat wears out/looses its punch)peat is excellent for discus IME.

Smokey
02-21-2003, 02:37 AM
You are correct Richie; That is why i know the peat becomes exhausted after 350 liters/~ 90 gallons./ per 5 gallons. I measure and moniter all my discus water daily. I go through a lot of test kits.
Raise the conductivity... sure it does.. it is putting micro scopic particles into the water... hence the brown tannins- colour.

REMEMBER - the wateR is now soft and RICH.
I go through a bale a month[peat]. at $5.00 a bale.. cheap.
since it has gotton around the village; I have people lining up to get my used peat; repotting, gardens, flower beds, etc.
Oh, yes , the local garden center is upset; it is cutting into his high priced soil sales. LOL. My local hardware/fish store loves to see me !!!! Yes, thats right, the local hardware store is also the LFS. I purchase the peat from them, and my test kits, chemicals, supplies, etc. I have increased his sales tremendiously... plus I have sparked interest in the fish hobby again. People lifted their eyebrows when they heard I was raising fish worth hundreds of $'s. The hobby does not have to be expensive; only if you want it to be.

Remember , I did buy a commerical R/O system last year. Already I need a new membrane{ my error]; $160.00 wholesale!!! OUCH!!!!!

As always, I am the person for whom the quote - '' IF IT AN'T BROKEN... YOUR NOT TRYING" is directed at. LOL.
[ appoligises to Mr. R. Green ]

Smokey

jklnbrg
02-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Remember , I did buy a commerical R/O system last year. Already I need a new membrane{ my error]; $160.00 wholesale!!! OUCH!!!!!

As always, I am the person for whom the quote - '' IF IT AN'T BROKEN... YOUR NOT TRYING" is directed at. LOL.
[ appoligises to Mr. R. Green ]

Smokey

Can't you just fix the RO Membrane??? Duct tape will work!! (see reference to Red Green) :)

John