PDA

View Full Version : extra wc's when having extra time

TimS
02-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Hello everyone, I am a new member and have a question regarding water changes. I change water twice a day in the a.m. and in the evening before bed (20%). During the day can I do a water change above and beyond my regular 20% twice a day, say on weekends since I'm home from work? Or will this possibly stress the discus due to not being part of the regular routine?
I have 11 red turks 6 weeks old in a 55gallon bare bottom and use 50% RO and 50% tap with a canister, two sponge, and a external power filter.

DarkDiscus
02-11-2003, 01:59 PM
IMHO,

The more w/c the better.

I think that your mid-day w/c would only help the fish, plus the more time you spend in the tank the more your fish will like you!

John

chirohorn
02-11-2003, 02:28 PM
WOW! Now that's dedication. :o

Ryan
02-11-2003, 04:13 PM
As long as your water is aged so that the temperature and the pH match, you can change as much water as you'd like. If you were to do a w/c straight from the tap, in most cases the pH would swing either up or down as the water off-gased, and so if you did a very large water change there would be a major pH swing that might stress your fish. If the water is aged and there is no change, there's nothing to stress your fish out because it's all the same water :)

Ryan

02-11-2003, 06:13 PM
double up with 50% waterchanges...so change half the water in the am and then half again later. sounds good to me.

BlueTurquoise
02-11-2003, 07:12 PM
I agree with Ryan, keep the water all the same and it won't matter at all.

My that is dedicated, 2 times daily, 3 times on weekends!

Chong

02-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Yep it sounds like to me you need more fish and tanks.

Miles