PDA

View Full Version : Why are my fish so dark?

FISHPUNK
02-11-2003, 09:15 PM
My fish seem alert and healthy, but they are a little on the black side. Water temp is 86F and ph is about 6.0...25% water changes once a week....any input?

fcdiscus
02-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Try 25% every day or every other day if you can! Should make a world of difference! Frank

Bigmo
02-11-2003, 09:49 PM
First thing you need to do is check your water parameters using a test kit. Test for gh/kh. Next in my opinion your ph is way too low for growing out discus, I would recommend raising it to around 7-7.5 Do you do aged water changes? This is done to get the water to the same temperature as your main tank, as well as remove chlorine/ chlorimines, and finally increases your ph. My fish were turning dark, and developing hole in the head. I lost many fish before I figured out my gh in my tank was zero. Gh is essential for the development of your fish, it provides the essential minerals your fish need to grow. So, start out testing your water, then post your results.

Carol_Roberts
02-12-2003, 01:31 AM
I agree with Frank. You need to increase your water changes. Discus are different than other tropical fish. They need very clean water, tanks and filter to remain healthy. You should change at leat 20% everyday with water that is pH stable and the same temperature. Wipe down the inside of the tank at least once a week. Discus do not tolerate high bacteria loads.