PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shrimp would be better for discus?

wo
02-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi,

Could anyone tell me which kinds of shrimps are better to add in the hamburger. I am using grass shrimps now. I am not sure they are from fresh water or salted water. Are they suppose to carry parasites and diseases. Thanks!

ALEXIS
02-12-2003, 05:45 PM
If they are a salt water shrimp it is a slim chance of a salt water parasite to live and reproduce in fresh water.

BlueTurquoise
02-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Alexis is on the right track, I am not 100% sure, but it sounds pretty good to me. Any fresh salt water shrimp is alot better than freshwater shrimp.

I just buy the shrimp that is on sale at the time.

Chong

chuck
02-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Wo,
I might be really wrong but I think hamburger is way to fatty for feeding discus, They can not digest the fat. Heart meat is used because it's high protein and very little fat. The little fat that it does have is removed before processing.
Please correct me if i'm off base here... :-\

chuck

wo
02-15-2003, 01:01 AM
Thanks to Alexis, Chong and Chuck.

I will ask the supermarket about whether the grass shrimps are from fresh water or salted water.

Chuck:

The kind of beef meat I bought is from the supermarket with a label marked "low fat imported from U.S.". Will the low fat meat be better for the discus health? The first reason I use meat is easy to use and the second reason is fear to handle a heart.

chuck
02-15-2003, 08:41 AM
Wo, IMO I wouldn't use Hamburger . The fat is grinded with the meat. Also it will leave a grease slick in the surface of the water...
better safe then sorry...
chuck