PDA

View Full Version : Lid for 90 gallon

mustysushi
02-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to make a lid for my 90 gallon. There isn'a middle support, so I can do it in 1 piece. I was thinking of plexiglass, but heard stories of it getting really messy over time. Just want a low cost lid, nothing pretty. Anyone have suggestions for other materials?

BlueTurquoise
02-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Problem that I found with plexiglass (or perspex is what we call it in Australia) is that it arcs and bends. Not sure if it is normally does that when suspended but I think it is due also to the heat of the tank perhaps.

In any case I broke one of my 2ft lids and replaced it with perspect 2 ft and I can tell you that it bows downwards like it was not solid!

The other thing about plexi is that it isn't cheap (well I go to the manufacturer directly and he charges AU$20 just for that 2ft by 1/2ft) a piece of glass of the same size is about $12.

Lastly if you are planning to cover the entire top wth one piece then I would think about 3 things... one would be that it will need to be a thick piece so that it doesn't bow, perhaps think about bracing the piece in the middle some how, and lastly you would have to move the whole huge peice to get at your fish. Correct me if I'm worng but isn't a 90 gal = 5ft tank? that is one BIG piece of plexi or glass! I think you are better off with 2 smaller peices imo...

Good luck!

Chong

mustysushi
02-14-2003, 09:55 AM
I ended up getting a 2' x 4' piece of acrylic. I'm going to put hinges on it to make it more accesible. There may be a possibility of bowing, so I might add a support.

yellow sub
02-14-2003, 01:11 PM
Acrylic will definitly bend over time. You will need to brace it with perpindicular acrylic runners along the edges. You can bond the peices togeather with weld-on or use something like marine goop. The runners will need to be an inch or 2 to give enough support to counter act the bowing.

Stephen

KEVINT
02-14-2003, 07:46 PM
acrylic is really mess if you cut it.
especially if you cut it with a saw.
it melts

ChloroPhil
02-19-2003, 10:41 AM
I've got the same kind of 90g you've got....old heavy thing that it is. I opted to not even put a top on mine. My hood is open in the back and front to help with evaporation, but it would do just as well with only the back open. I'm running a LOT of light to feed my plants.

BTW, I used 1/2" pine and oak instead of plastic. It won't bend, especially if you seal it well before use.

ferrax
02-28-2003, 11:24 AM
hi i usually make my own tanks and lids. I have tried many diferent ways and what works best for me is a simple 2 piece glass sliding cover. this works well because it completely covers the tank and when it needs servicing all you do is slide the front panel back under the back panel. heres a pic of one of my tanks

http://ferrax.no.sapo.pt/Im001121.jpg