PDA

View Full Version : Brine shrimp are dying

troy
02-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Hi

I have been hatching BBS for my fry, only problem i have is that they dye after a couple of days , how do you keep them alive and growing , i was feeding them small amounts of yeast as food but this made no difference .

chuck
02-13-2003, 11:12 PM
Troy,
BBS are only nutritious for the 1st 24 hrs after hatching during this time they do not feed and live off their yolk sack. What I do is on the 4th day of the fry free swimming, that night I start up my brineShrimp hatchery. The next night I have my 1st hatch of bbs to feed the fry.
I drain the bbs through a coffee filter (the Gold mesh permanent ones ) rinse them in fresh water and then transfer them to a measuring cup of fresh water. ( they only live about 3 hrs in fresh water).
I then add more brine shrimp eggs to the hatcher. The next morning, I harvest the bbs again.... but do not add more eggs. then That night after another harvest of bbs . I dump out the water in the hatchery and add a few drops of Clorox to disinfect the hatchery and wash it out and rinse good before refilling. I then repeat the whole process again.
I never tried to grow them but I read that you have to keep the water aerated and warm 80f or their metabolism slows down and they don't grow. Check out brineshrimp direct's website .
As far as bb I buy from Jehmco the hatch rate is really good ...
hth
chuck