PDA

View Full Version : How many discus...

PaTu
02-16-2003, 01:19 PM
My aquarium is 450 litres... how many discus can i put in there? I have now 5 discus but i want to buy 5 more... is this possible?
I'm sorry... this my english is not so good ;D

chirohorn
02-16-2003, 02:13 PM
450L = 118.9 gal so you could have about 12 adults in that tank. This is using the 1 adult/10 gal rule-of-thumb. That's assuming lack of other prominent tankmates, good water quality, etc.

p.s. Your English is great.

PaTu
02-16-2003, 03:00 PM
I have now 5 young discuses and the "housekeeper" and i'm gonna buy 5 discus more. Discuses which i'm gonna buy is adult's... 3 of them is 2-3 years old and 2 of them i don't know but their size is 18-20 centimeters :D

p.s. Thank you chirohorn!

Willie
02-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Make sure you quarantine, Willie

fossil
02-17-2003, 03:31 PM
As Willie said- quarantine.

That means don't just get your new discus and put them in with your old ones. The new ones could have a disease, I would suggest you put the new ones in a bare bottom for at least three weeks, this will let you know if they have a disease or not.

PaTu
02-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Okey. I have now quarantine tank. Tank size is 250 litres(66,14 us gal) and bare bottom, internal filter, light and warmer. Next weekend i'm going to get new discuses, i have allready bought them :D. I think that i'll have to buy somekind of hiding place in the tank? Is temperature 32 degrees (90f) okey?

PaTu

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Hi PaTu:

I bet you are very excited, there is nothing more fun than getting new discus ;D

What temperature are they kept at now? 30 - 31 should be warm enough.

Are your new discus all in the same tank now? IF yes, they may not need any hiding places as they already have the pecking order set. do they have hiding places where they are now or is it a bare grow out tank?

PaTu
02-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Hi Carol!

They are in two different tanks now... and they have hiding places.
In my own discus tank temperature is now 30 degrees. I don't know yet what is temperature of my new discuses... but i will ask that.

When i change water in the quarantine tank, do i take it in my main tank? or a fresh water? Here were i live ph is 7.0 and i keep discuses in this water, i have only black peat in external filter and i add co in the tank.

PaTu

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2003, 05:16 PM
I never use water from another tank. I heat and circulate my water in a 55 gallon plastic storage barrel. This allows the pH to stablize. You can also neutralize chlorine in the barrel. I fill my Quarantine tank with fresh water from the barrel. Then I add a heater, thermomether and a cycled filter. As soon as tank is stable (and no leaks) you can add discus.

What type of filter will you use on the Q-tank? Make sure it is cycled.

You can add a clay pot or plastic plant to the Q-tank for a hiding place.

pH 7.0 is fine. Mine is 7.8. I don't use any peat - just lots of aged water. For breeding I have to soften my water with an RO filter.