PDA

View Full Version : water pump?

ekim_
02-16-2003, 09:42 PM
I'm wondering what kind of water pumps you guys are using and where do you get them? I need a pump that has about a 5' head.
Is there any at homedepot that I can use?

Right now I have my water storage barrel the same hight as my tank and am using a small submersible pump, it only has a 2' head!
I want to put the barrel under the tank out of the way!

Thanks

02-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi ekim,

I bought a pump at Home Depot :

Flotec submersible-sump/utility pumps FPOS 1256X ,1.6 HP 1200 gal/hr for around $70 cant remember exactly how much. They also have stronger and weaker ones.
The one I have works really fine for me.

HTH
Ronald

gary1218
02-17-2003, 08:07 AM
I use a Mag Drive 500 pump in the sump of my trickle filter. I find it to be powerful AND VERY quiet.

I use a Sears submersible pump to do water changes. That is plenty powerful as well but not a quiet as the Mag Drive.

GARY

daninthesand
02-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Don't use a Hagen Aqua clear 901. It sucks for the head it can manage. (No pun intended) ;D

I too own and like the Mag drive pump brand. They work well and put out a lot of head. (again no pun intended) ;D ;D I also have one huge magnetic drive Little Giant pump, but they tend to be a little expensive.

I tend to get my stuff used, but there are a lot of online pet supply outfits out there. Maybe someone can point you the way to who they use for purchasing pumps.

HTH
Daniel

ekim_
02-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the reply's everyone! :)

I took a look at the Sears website and found this, I might give it a try!
Sounds to good to be true, super cheap, and I have a drill!
http://www.sears.com/data/product_images/appliances/large/04226960000-dlv.jpg

Craftsman Power-Drill Pump
Thermoplastic, utility pump powered from a drill. Typical applications include pumping out small aquariums, emptying clogged sinks or broken washing machines.

cost $5.00
Pumps up to 3.75 gpm (225 gph)
Garden hose suction and discharge tapping
Self-priming up to 8 foot vertical lift
90 day warranty

Haywire
08-08-2003, 04:00 PM
I use a drill pump like that to service my inboard motor in the boat. They get hot for a short duration and the flow rate isn't that good. Takes about 10 minutes to pump 4 quarts of oil out of boats crankcase.

I think you would be better served with a cheapie power head and some plastic tubing.

jeep
08-08-2003, 06:34 PM
For around $28.00 I bought a surge pump from Big Als.

It pumps about 10 gpm at 5' head.

I love it!

Brian

LobsterMobster
08-08-2003, 09:53 PM
I use a Mag 7. Best bang for buck IMO.

Smokey
08-13-2003, 04:08 AM
For a long time - good investment -- go with a Mag drive ... 500 or 750.

Been using them for over 5 years; never had a problem. Great pumps - threaded inake /output . easy to adapt to pvc/cpve fittings.

I also have a 4mdxq pump ,, and 1/2 dozen others.
the Mag drives are the ones that sit in the sump. 24/7/365.

Spend the few dollars and get a pump that will last. !!

Smokey

ronrca
08-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Question for you Smokey! I have 2 sumps right beside each other for the mini rack! Both are Mag 9 pumps connected the same way. One pump has a really good output/flow rate and the other is half. Any suggestions?

Smokey
08-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Ron...
If everything is the same - head hieght, piping resistance, etc ..
Try one of three things:
1- switch pumps - exchange one for the other - leaving the rest the same. Measure the output flow rate. If the flow rate remains uinchanged, then one of the pumps is not produceing correctly.

2- Check and see if the impereller is not broken/missing a blade and the output/imput of the pump is clear of any obstruction.

3- once the ineffective pump has been identified; checked for obstructiions; checked for damage to the impeller/magnet ....

SEND THE PUMP BACK --- IT MUST BE DEFFECTIVE
[one in a million chance, eh ???].

Personally - I would look at the delievery lines first OR switch pumps and compare output flow.

Has the low-flow pump every been run dry ?

Smokey