PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium stability & how to prevent leaks

tyrancooper
02-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Could we please have a discussion on the life expectancy of aquarium silicone? I just experienced a tremendous scare about 8 hours ago and posted about it in the general discussion. I'm not yet "out of the woods".

I wouldn't want ANYONE to go though what I discovered last night!!! :'(

Tyra

02-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey Tyra

I really dont think you can put a time limit on how long a tank will last. Ive got tanks ten+ years old that are still going strong. Ive also had tanks split a seam a month after they're set up. I think it all depends on the quality of the construction, quality of the silicone, proper placement of the tank etc.
The only thing you really have control over once you get it home is proper set up and placement. Above all else the tank needs a LEVEL surface to sit on regardless of wether or not it has a plastic seat on the tank. Level side to side and level front to back. Anthing less will put undue stress on the silicone joints and shorten the life of the seal.
If the tank doesnt have a plastic rim/seat on it, just a glass base, it needs to have a sheet of styrofoam directly underneath the tank its self. The styrofoam will "absorb" any uneveness in the surface it sits on and distribute the weight evenly so there are no pressure points.
If the tank does have a plastic rim/seat, I generally dont use the styrofoam unless Im concerned about the suface it sits on being SLIGHTLY uneven.....some use it regardless, just for peace of mind. It also serves well as insulation against heat loss.

HTH
Tony

midnight1
02-18-2003, 10:10 PM
tank expectancy will very greatly. i have tanks that are over 20 years old that have yet to break. i've also had tanks set up for over a year and the bottom "blow out" on them. i've had a few where the front or rear panel just broke after being set up and not moved for 5 years. i've had tanks sit dry in the freeze thaw cycle of my garage for 10 years - refill and have no problems with them 5 years later.

tanks being properly supported along the base is more important then level - with-in reason of course. rigid insulation around the perimeter does work i've typically used flat cork.

my best recomendation is to be careful when moving them empty not to hit any corners or chip the glass. once set up life expectancy is just pure speculation.

midnight1

p.s. - i have bought factory seconds from all-glass and am still using them 15 years later. probably around 5 years wet, 2 years dry, 7 years dry again and now am on my first year wet again with no problems. glass tanks are really pretty strong and can take more abuse than most think.

tyrancooper
02-18-2003, 11:58 PM
QUESTION:

I do not have a sheet of styrofoam large enough to fit under my entire tank (12x36 base). I really need to set up my tank tonight and there are no hardware stores open...

I have a 12x12 in. square of styrofoam. Is it possible for me to cut it in half and put it under the two narrower ends?

I'm desperate to get my fish transported to this new tank. :-\

Tyra

Don_Lee
02-19-2003, 12:20 AM
An acrylic aquarium darn near eliminates any chance of breakage. I am paranoid, so will not be buying any more glass tanks myself.

Don ;D

02-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Tyra

Does the tank have a plastic base? If it does, I would feel comfortable cutting the styro into strips wide enough for the plastic to sit on and go around the perimeter of the tank.

Tony

midnight1
02-19-2003, 02:13 AM
tony is correct - actually according to all-glass aquarium's engineers you only need to support the 4 corners. they are located only about 10 miles from my house and i posed that question to them directly.

midnight1

RichieE
02-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Don, I have both acrylic and glass and find your post interesting. Is acrylic known not to have any problems with seams breaking or leaking? I've heard it sad that the acrylic "weld" is stronger than the plastic itself. Could a person assume that if an acrylic tank doesn't leak when its new it probally never will? If that's the case it may well be worth the extra money especially if someone has wood floors or has the tank on the second floor of a home or apartment.

My acrylics are 10 years old and like new except for some minor scratches. Has anyone had a bad experience with an acrylic tank? Rich

Aquatic_Design
02-25-2003, 05:04 PM
I have both glass and acrylic tanks and have had problems with both.
All of my new tanks are fine. On the tanks I bought used I have had seams leak on both types. On the glass tank it was just a slow drip. When the acrylic went it blew out.
JME
Donna :)

Don_Lee
02-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Rich-My understanding is that acrylic tanks are much safer, but I cannot back that up with any hard facts. I know that after about 15+ years in the hobby, I never heard of any problems with acrylic tanks leaking or bursting...until Donna's post below lol.

Don ;D