PDA

View Full Version : A new 50 gal?????

Tonyintx
02-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Okay everyone I just got the deal of the century and I am supposed to get a 50 gal from somebody here in town, so I want everyone's oppion on what to get from heater (brand and size) to filter and everything in-between. all remarks are apprciated. ;D

Tyler
02-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Heater.... I still use Ebo Jager heaters, even though some have proven faulty. My first choice would be a 200 watt Ebo. If you don't wanna go with them, those new titaniums look nice, so i would't hesistate with them either.

Filter.....Hydro Sponges! Get like two of them and you should be fine filtration wise.

As for anything in between......i reccomend nothing! Well maybe a can of blue paint.....but all my tanks are bb.
Congrats on the new tank.

Tyler

Ryan
02-18-2003, 02:36 PM
That depends on your goal. Do you want a bare-bottom tank to raise out discus or are you setting up a decorative community tank?

My suggestion for a bare-bottom tank is two Hydro IV sponges powered by an air pump (I use Rena pumps, the big ones with two outlets), an AquaClear 500 (remove the carbon bag they send with it and buy a replacement sponge so that you can have 2 sponges in the back), and a heater of your choice. I use Ebos but they've gotten a lot of bad press lately, so I'm sure someone will have a suggestion for you.

Ryan

02-18-2003, 02:57 PM
My 50g tank has 2 Hydro III's and an Ebo Jager 200w heater. I also use a HOT Magnum filter with Micron insert for additional mechanical filtration when the tank is overcrowded.

Dave

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2003, 03:15 PM
You've gotten a lot of good advice. All I can add is a thermometer ;)

It's pretty simple. Filter, heater, thermometer . . . . . water changing equipment and water storage barrel with heater and pump are good to have too.

jklnbrg
02-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Now get 10 juvis from Frank (FCDiscus ) or Cary!