PDA

View Full Version : DIY Python?

spartyblaze
02-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey kids, I was wondering if anybody out there had created their own 'python' apparatus. I really need the same functionality, but am pretty hesitant to fork over $55 for the 50 foot model i need to do my water changes. The biggest appeal to me is to be able to drain and fill from the same interconnected hose, down my drain without having to drag an extra hose around.

I'm pretty crafty and I've spent some time wandering around Home Depot, but I figured somebody had already had this bright idea ;D.

PS, If anybody has any photos/diagrams of what they've created I'd love to see them, and I'm sure it'd be easier for me to fabricate what you have.

Thanks

Go Spartans!

02-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi Sparty....

I did end up McGyvering a 20 footer for filling and used a Python, with a seperate Vac end for each tank, for draining... Having multiple tanks, I didn't like the idea of using the same hose for draining and filling both..... The fill hose cost me about 20$ total. Can't see the drain being much more. . I have since converted my system over to PVC so do not have pics...
I read somewhere others use the white RV hoses found at Home Depot as well.

Julz :)

snowshoe
02-18-2003, 06:57 PM
HI,

you can actually buy the same python pump at many fish shops or online sources. Then use a white rv drinking water hose and you will be in business for less than $55

spartyblaze
02-18-2003, 07:24 PM
so by that, do you mean buy a shorter version of the python, to get the right pieces?

I think the tough one would be the fitting that auto primes the suction with running tap water.

Aquatic_Design
02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
SB,
That's the easy part. Go to WalMart into the waterbed area. They have them in a box. It's just blue instead of green.
HTH
Donna :)

spartyblaze
02-19-2003, 07:30 PM
ah, I see - I'll do a little investigation. Thanks for the help everybody!

RandalB
02-20-2003, 12:53 AM
Buy the shortest one you can find and add additional 1/2" (ID) hose to the gravel vac end. Made mine a 50' for $5.00 more.

RandalB

allan_mark76
02-28-2003, 07:08 PM
HOME DEPOT.... your one stop shop zone....

A- :o

daddyg70
03-02-2003, 06:42 PM
bigalsonline.com sells pythons cheap. I ordered a 75' python for 49.99 vs. 75 dollars for a 50' at petco.

mench
03-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Donna has the right idea,water bed places sell the drain and fill thingies..and then to Home depot for genaric garden hose and fittings,ya can do the whole thing for arounf 15 bucks...lots better than 50

mench

vosevichs
03-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Go to Wal-Mart and get the water bed fill kit 5.00. Go to Lowes / Home Depot and get a Hose repair coupling. You want the 1/2 in.female end 2.00. Get some 1/2 vinyl tubing, whatever length you desire 30 cents a ft.. (they'll cut it for you, or they have 10 ft. rolls) and use the vacumn end of an old syphon vacumn.

1. Attach the Hose repair coupling to one end of the 1/2" vinyl tubing. (2 screws, real easy)
2. Attach the other end of the tubing to vacumn. (My old syphon was too small, I wrapped some electrical tape around the end till it fit tight into the tubing)
3. Attach faucet adapter to the faucet. You'll have to remove the aerator on your faucet. It just unscrews. Grab it with a pair of plyiers with the jaws wraped with tape so as not to scratch you chrome. Screw in the white adapter, then the blue tee. (there are instructions on the box)
4. Attach the tubing to the faucet adapter and you are ready to go.

I just made one and it works great. Should of done it ages ago.

(Sorry I don't have pictures)

PARCS46
04-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey Greg: Do you have a Product# or a Cat.# for the 75' Python at bigalsonline, looked but could not find it. Thanks: Sincerely, :computer: (Discus Devil)

DiscusBoy
04-21-2003, 06:00 PM
The Python's are under the maintenance section at Big Al's. The aswo# for the 75 foot Python is 4122

DiscusBoy

PARCS46
04-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi DB: Thanks for the skinny as to the location of the pythons in bigals. I know it's supposed to be DIY, but what the hay, I've built so many things including tanks and iron stands, I figure why not buy something for a change!Sincerely, 8) 8) (Discus Devil)

Hugh
05-29-2003, 12:38 AM
I made a similiar design from Home Depot product the only different thing i did was used a coupling for my shower head instead of the sink. I also added a check valve. Which i would recomend since after you turn off the water on the fill it wants to start to vacuum again.

- Hugh -

PARCS46
06-01-2003, 01:29 AM
Hi Hugh: There's a easier way to go than using the check valve, I use a quick throw valve. When I'm finished filling I Just shut the valve for a positive flow stop, then go to your hook up, (I use the Bathtub Valves), and close same. I then place the hose into the next tank for the WC, open the quick throw valve and disconnect at the now closed supply, and presto an instant syphon. Reconnect to fill tank. I live in an apartment and have 12 tanks up and running. The WC's for all the tanks of 30 gals. and above are completed using above method in appx. two hours. On the smaller tanks, twenty gals. or less, I employ the bucket brigade. I'm in this great hobby over 55 yrs. so whenever possible the KISS principal will always take precedent. Please feel free to get in touch if I can be of any assistance: Sincerely, 8) (Discus Devil) 8)