PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Terminology

02-19-2003, 11:13 AM
The correct breeding terminology and listing for any crossing is as follows:

example: Wild Green X Blue Diamond

In this example, the Wild Green, a male , is always listed first. The female is listed last.

Pair teminology:

Pair: Male and Female that are exhibiting mating behavior
such as bowing, dipping, and looking for a spawning
site. prior to this, the male may gently push the female in her stomach area. The female may "tail slap" the male as a test of his strength ( theory )

Mated Pair: Male and Female that have actually spawned
but not had viable fry.

Breeding or Proven Pair: Male and Female that have had
viable fry and raised to fruition.

Ova: The eggs from the spawn. shortly, the fertile eggs will turn darker in coloration with a black dot within. This is the eye of the future fry.

Wrigglers: Most people incorrectly call the hatched spawn wigglers. The proper term is wrigglers. This is a common error in terminology. It takes approximately 48-52 hours from spawning to wriggler stage, dependent on the temperature.

Free Swimmers: An additional 48-52 hours after the wriggler stage or four days after the initial spawn. They need to attach to the parents quickly lest they perish. The egg sack is consumed prior to this stage

There are still additional steps before your discus can be properly termed a success as far as breeding goes.
In between, there can be egg eaters as well as wriggler eaters. Even fry eaters---The pair may mature and cease this behavior and then again---they may always revert back to this.

One can espound on this start to proper terminology, and this should only be considered a start!

Good Luck, Joe ;)

Breeding pair: Two

ALEXIS
02-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Very good post Joe !

Monette
02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
All great info :)

Wrigglers: Most people incorrectly call the hatched spawn wigglers. The proper term is wrigglers. This is a common error in terminology. It takes approximately 48-52 hours from spawning to wriggler stage, dependent on the temperature.

We have had this conversation on an AngelForum...and what we found is, both terms are correct. We looked up both terms on the WebstersDictionary online....here is what we found

Main Entry: wrig·gler
Pronunciation: 'ri-g(&-)l&r
Function: noun
Date: 1631
: one that wriggles; especially : WIGGLER 1

Main Entry: wig·gler
Pronunciation: 'wi-g(&-)l&r
Function: noun
Date: 1859
1 : a larva or pupa of the mosquito -- called also wriggler
2 : one that wiggles

Sounds like a circle that means all the same thing.
IMHO...either are correct.

02-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Great info Joe....

Thanks... :)

jeep
02-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Thanks Joe. Now I know I have a mated pair but the male may just not be ready yet. He's made passes for 6 months now but no wrigglers.

Wolf
02-19-2003, 02:41 PM
So are the offspring called babies or fry ;D :-X

Thanks for that info. I didn't know when you say the cross the male comes first.

Anna Piranha
02-19-2003, 04:31 PM
this has less to do with terminology and more to do with understanding behavior Joe described. I have a Discus that shakes and shimmies its whole body. It does this while it is pecking away at a plastic tree stump in the community tank. It drives away all other fish, except for a big Blue Diamond (BD). The BD doesn't seem to shake very much, if at all. The BD does participate in driving other fish away from the stump and also pecks at it. So I am wondering if these two have "Paired Off." I am assuming that pairing off means choosing a partner to spawn with and excludes any other possibilities for a mate in the tank.

There haven't been any eggs. Is it possible that I am looking at something other than a mating dance? I've just never seen this before.

Thanks,
Anna

Monette
02-19-2003, 06:24 PM
This thread also made me think of another discussion

Fry vs. Fries

;)

http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=286;star t=0

02-19-2003, 06:35 PM
I am assuming that pairing off means choosing a partner to spawn with and excludes any other possibilities for a mate in the tank.

this can change rather quickly IME...I've got two adult female fish, and two male adult fish...up until a day or two ago i wasn't sure the 2nd male was a male...the first male has spawned successfully with both females, and the 2nd male has got wigglers with one of the females as of yesterday....this is all since christmas...three spawns out of four fish, never the same partner...
I get the impression that some males will just spawn with any female(kindof like real life-hahaha)

02-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Anna, David answered your question pretty well. I have had one male spawn with two females next to each other doing a double run. Un til recently, I had not seen two males with only one female--but that did happen last summer in the community tank!

Pecking ( cleaning ) a spwning sight can take some time as the male can be cleaning a site the female has no intentions of using. Joe

jeep
02-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Fry are what you have in your tank.

Fries are what you get at McDonalds ;D

Monette
02-19-2003, 08:01 PM
And never put ketchup on the fry! ;)