PDA

View Full Version : HELP w/ eating problem

discusnovice
02-19-2003, 04:03 PM
I just this past week purchased five (5) new 2 1/2" discus and introducted them into my tank (NEW but seasoned). My problem is that two are eating great and have from day one but the other three have never to my knowledge let anything pass through their lips.

Water temp is 90 - 91 F and the Ph is at 6.5. Daily water changes, etc. The three do get out and mingle with the two that do eat but do not show any interest in food. One of the two that eats is somewhat of a bully but if they are at the other end of the tank there is still no interest in food even if it passes within a freckle of their face.

I am feeding Frozen Brine Shrimp as well as Frozen Blood Worms along with three kinds of Discus pellets which is what they were raised on so I am told by the breeder who is a very experienced discus person.

Your thoughts please ???

Anna Piranha
02-19-2003, 04:10 PM
I saw similar symptoms with a couple of fish that had tapeworms. However, I am by no means an expert and I think that you would benefit greatly by checking out the diseases section of this forum. It's great that you posted in this thread, as well, as I am sure some more knowledgeable people will be responding to you soon.

Good luck :bandana:
Anna

discusnovice
02-19-2003, 04:10 PM
I failed to mention that this is a planted (plastic) tank with several pieces of driftwood along with a REVERSE FLOW under gravel filter. There is lots of room and places to hide from the more agressive eating two.

Would appreciate any comments on how to induce them to eat !!!

heavyp83
02-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Try giving them some live food, that always works to get mine eating.

DarkDiscus
02-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Discusnovice,

I agree about the live food - blackworms would be a great start - if they don't attack the blackworms, there is definitely someting going on!

Obviously my first concern is the UGF - IMHO they are not good for any fish and especially discus! The reverse flow is a little better, but the waste still settles in the gravel. Even daily siphoning isn't going to do it.

Also, what size is the tank?

John

Ryan
02-19-2003, 05:43 PM
You just got the fish this past weekend and it's only Wednesday, so it could be that the fish have not had time to settle in.

Keep the temperature up and feed little amounts -- if the fish do not eat, siphon the food up right away. If you don't it will just settle in the gravel and start to decompose, which would cause water quality issues later.

If the fish look okay I would not start to panic just yet -- they may just need some adjustment time. How are the fish in appearance?

Ryan

discusnovice
02-19-2003, 07:35 PM
They look and act quite well. The two that are eating are eating like "pigs" and there is very little hitting the gravel.

The reverse flow UGF causes most of the waste to collect on the intake sponge filters and the discus are getting it there if the 2 pleco's or 3 albino cats do not.

The three swim out as if they are going to feed but do not. I do know that the big bully is trying to intimidate those three as well as the one that does eat as he would drather chase away the one from his food than eat himself.

Is there any way to cause an agressive fish to mellow out??

THANKS !!

fossil
02-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Thats how nature intended it to be. For only the strongest to survive and pass on his/her traits on to other fish. You will always have a "boss" of the tank. You said their is lots of places to hide so thats a plus any way. If you have more room I would try to get more discus. Soon the boss will realize that there is just too many fish to chase away and he will give up chasing (to an extreme any way) so the other fish will be able to eat. It could also be them getting used to the tank, they are new so I wouldn't worry right off. If they don't seem to be eating in another week to few days then I would start to worry.(even though they can go for about 3 weeks w/o eating) If they aren't eating soon maybe you could put a divider in the tank. See if this gets the other few to start eating.

-hth

heavyp83
02-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Did you quarantine the discus before you put them in your community tank? It is possible that your other fish have passed on something to the discus that they aren't used to.

discusnovice
02-21-2003, 11:16 AM
The three have still not eaten. They look over the food and go through the motions as if they were going to take a bite but do not. After a few moments they drift to their hiding places to allow the "bully" to get his fill. They then join in a community swim about the tank with the two eaters and everyone seems happy.

The two pleco's and three albino cats are enjoying the great amount of food. Nothing seems to settle to the bottom because of the reverse flow (340 GPH) and food remaining on the bottom is not a problem. Some food does collect on the sponge intakes for the reverse flow power heads but that is soon eaten.

I will keep watching and post if or when there is a breakthrough.

larry lob
02-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I would like to add that you should put salt in the tank at the rate of 1.5 table spoons per 10 gals then replace the lost salt in water changes to the amount of water taken out (take out 10 gals put 1.5 table spoons of salt back).

The fact you have added 5 fish to an already new but seasoned tank will increase the bioload some what i would check nitites ammonia and nitrates again if possible. salt will ease the poisoning and help.

give them more time and keep your eyes peeled also try not to fluster over them too much at this stage till they settle better. if the fish seem healthy i bet the are grabbing some food in thier hiding place without your knowledge.

Sit tight and see what happens. if the fish show symptoms if fin clamping extreme darkening white stringy poo then well help you deal with it for the mean time carry on changing water feeding and watching.

one more thing, make sure the water you add is the same as the tanks water if you can Ph, Gh temp.

Most of all for now Don't Worry.

HTH

Larry

discusnovice
02-22-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks Larry!! Yes I am worring but I will hang in there and watch and watch some more. I have not seen them eat anything and I have watched for hours on end. They seem fine but only time will tell.

I think it may be because of the "bully" as now they are hideing as soon as the food hits the tank. I think I may divide the tank and keep the bully in his own space to see if the three will start taking food.

I will post and let you know the progress (If any).

walan20
07-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Wow, I have the EXACT same problem with my discus right now. And you didn't let us know about what happened to your discus. It's been 8 years lol!

AKRON AWOL
07-14-2011, 04:48 PM
haha yeah now i'm curious what happened too! :)

walan20
07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Whatever happend to I will post and let you know the progress (If any)....