PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Field

amirnezhad
02-20-2003, 04:41 AM
I`ve made a new tank, and set it up just like my previous tank but when I put my fishes in it they sat in the bottom of the tank and I tought that they are going to die :-[
I put them back into the previous tnak and they got good. both tanks have the same temperature and pH, but the new tank is near to the manetic field made by refrigerator. Do you think the reason is the magnetic field or some thing else. If you know it tell me please

Thanks

Mick M
02-20-2003, 08:20 AM
I have a freezer next to one of my tanks with no ill effects.

Did you use a fully matured filter in the new tank?
I'd suggest you post exactly how the new tank was setup
and maybe we can get some more informed answers for you.

amirnezhad
02-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Hi,

The only things in my new tank are a heater, thermometer, and a filter, there is not any sand or plants.

Thanks

Mick M
02-20-2003, 08:50 AM
Ali

O.K. good start.
Now is the filter brand new or is it a used one (old).

amirnezhad
02-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Hi,

It is a new one, as like as filter I used in my previus tank

jeep
02-20-2003, 02:39 PM
How soon after placing the discus in the new tank did they start this behavior?

It could be they just didn't get used to their new home in a short period of time. Discus are skittish, especially adults.

You have the same water as your other tank. Is the 2nd tank new or used? Could be residue from a previous owner.

If it was a few days and this is a new filter, they could have ammonia/nitrite problems. Water changes with aged tap water should clear them up.

A new filter should be cycled for a few weeks to get the bacteria colonies established.

Good luck!

ronrca
02-20-2003, 04:27 PM
I would not think that a refrigerator will produce a large enough magnetic field to effect your fish because the voltage is not high enough and not enough copper windings.

What you may think however is testing each piece of equipment to ensure it is not faulty. To do this, unplug everything first. Then, one by one plug and unplug every piece of equipment and see if makes an effect of the discus!

DarkDiscus
02-20-2003, 04:32 PM
It could still be the fridge, but not a magnetic field - I know that when my fridge kicks into gear it makes a loud thump and buzzing noise.

Vibrations of this sort could very easily stress fish and freak them out.

John

ronrca
02-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Good point John! I never thought of that! ;D ;)

Carol_Roberts
02-21-2003, 12:51 AM
It is easy to check if the filter is the difference. simply switch the filters on the tanks . . .

amirnezhad
02-21-2003, 05:37 AM
Hi,
Thanks everybody :)

I changed my filter, and whole water in new tank and put my fishes in it again, but at this time there is no behavior like previous time :)

But at previous time, they start that behavior after 2/5~3 hours. but at this time I think is it 15 hours that I put them in new tank and they seems very good :)

Realy thanks of everybody beacse of their help :)