PDA

View Full Version : water level for bare discus tank ?

shootingstar
02-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Good day to all,

I have seen alot pictures of people's tanks, especially the breeders' and I noticed that they don't fill the water up to the top or near the top but instead about 3/4, 2/3 or even 1/2 the height of the tanks. Is there an explaination for that ?

1) save water ?
2) easy to clean ?
3) discus like that ?

heavyp83
02-20-2003, 12:04 PM
I keeep mine alll the way up but I don't have breeding pairs (yet!). One reason for breeders doing this is to help newly freeswimming babies find their parents sides (less water, easier to find them). After the parents are found, the water level is slowly raised back to normal over a period of days.

shootingstar
02-20-2003, 12:16 PM
even w/ grow out tanks:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/Me.jpg

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/Goldens.JPG

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/P8100004.JPG

??? ??? ???

02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
I keep the water 2 inches or so from the top lip of my tanks, the reason I do this is that all of my tanks have glass tops and lights. I find that keeping the water level at this point keeps the top glass cleaner.
I use sponge filter on all of my tanks and I found if I kept the tanks full of water the splashing of the bubbles from the sponge filters caused a quick build up of algae on the glass tops.

Randy

shootingstar
02-20-2003, 01:04 PM
One good point, Randy,

I've never thought of that.

Beside spong filters, do you use any other type of filter Randy ? and how often do you do water change ? and percentage ?

I only use the fluval 304 for my 55 gal grown out tank, and I think It's kind of too much because water flow or the output is too strong, that can make my discus spooking.

I do w/c every nite before go to bed about 35% using aged water that I store in 55 gal barrel.

02-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Steven,most of the time all I use are sponge filters. I have a closet full of HOB filters like AC's but I dont use them much. I find I dont need them as long as I keep my water changes and tank maintaince on track. This said I do recommend AC's on larger tanks in the 100 gal plus range just to add some circulation to the tank.
As far as water changes, I believe in "the more the better"....
MY adult discus get 25 to 50 % a day if not more
My fry and growouts get at least 50% and most of the time more like 75% at least once a day. This is what works for me, you will find other people change different amounts.
Depending on how many and what size discus you have in your 55 gal. 35% a day should be fine..
I dont know anything about your Fluval so I cant comment on it as far as GPH it is putting out.

HTH Randy

midnight1
02-20-2003, 05:32 PM
maybe because he doesn't use any covers??

midnight1

jeep
02-20-2003, 07:05 PM
The tanks in those pictures do not have upper supports/frames. Could they be home made and not designed for the stress of being filled to the top? ???

Could he be in the middle of re-filling the tanks after a water change? Looks like an automated system where all tanks are filled at once.

I wouldn't see the logic in buying a 55 gallon tank and only keeping 40 gallons in it.

Maybe there is???