PDA

View Full Version : aging water

Daniel_SR
02-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi everyone!

I used to use "Aquasafe" to get my water ready for the water changes. To save some money, as i do lots of water changes, i decided not to use it anymore, but to start filtering my water during the night over using activated carbon to get all the harmfull substances out. My question is how much a.c. should i use in one gallon in order to have a good water for our fishes? And number two, for how long that much is going to work fine, as the a.c. losses its efficacy as we use it?

Ok, thanks for your answers!

Daniel

02-20-2003, 09:11 PM
if you have a method of turning your water over at a high rate then you don't need any at all (assuming you have chlorine and not chloramines). I have a 500 gph pump that is constantly running in my 55 gallon barrel and it gets rid of chlorine in about 3 hours. I heat the barrel as well.

Daniel_SR
02-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your answer, but what about those hard metal substances we hear about. It ainīt just about chlorine. How long have you been doing it that way? Are your fish ok? Iīm pretty sure we are talking about different types of water, as we live in different countries, but i guess we all get chlorine ande hard metal in our water. Do you think a 3 hours running without any kind of products is going to give our fish nice water?

Thanks for your time.

Daniel

dm
02-22-2003, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't make any guesses. You can get a test kit and check to be sure how long it will take to effectivlyt remove it. That way you won't have to wonder if you ahve it all out or not.

Daniel_SR
02-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi dm, i wish we had that kind of test down here, but i`ve never seen it!

Thanks,

Daniel