PDA

View Full Version : 1 Discus per 10 gallons for bare tanks only?

Russ
02-21-2003, 03:13 AM
Hi,
I just set up a 90 gallon tank and have a big 20" piece of driftwood and two large potted amazon swords in it, my question is do I put in 9 discus as 1 discus per 10 gallon rule or do I put in less compinsating for the driftwood and plants?

Russ

Tony
02-21-2003, 03:42 AM
I think that is a guide not a rule. Water change scheme, what you feed, (e.g beef heart tends to foul the water quickly), size/age of discus e.g. I use a 4ft standard tank to grow out 6 discus most of the time...

your filtration system.....

I think your water change schema and filtration system is more critcal than the volume of water displaced....

good luck.

DarkDiscus
02-21-2003, 10:48 AM
I agree with Tony. If you are doing massive w/c daily and keeping water conditions pristine, you can fit more fish. In your tank I would think 8-12 would be a target, assuming good w/c.

John

RAWesolowski
02-21-2003, 11:10 AM
The 1:10 ratio between fish and gallons is only a rule for adult fish that is undoubtedly broken by most hobbyists. If you maintain good water parameters, that is, 30% or more water changes per day, you can easily stock your tank above that rule.

If you are stocking young fish, say 3" fish, you can more than double the fish/gallon ratio then select those fish that you want to maintain in the aquarium as they grow.

Carol_Roberts
02-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Yes, you can put 18 or 20 juvenile discus and grow them out. Sell the ones you don't want as they grow.

Young discus feel safer in large groups. Stocking densities are only limited by the amount of water you can change daily. As long as you are willing to do the water changes every day you can break the rules.

Russ
02-23-2003, 12:16 AM
I Thank all of you for responding, I plan on doing 50% water canges daily and have a Aqua Clear 500 power filter and 2 sponge filters running.
Now the big question who to buy discus from, Jack Wattley's Discus is by me, but he's so expensive. I don't know if I would be better off buying more disus from another dealer such as A Discus Dream or Mac's Discus, or buying less discus from Jack and picking them out myself?

Russ

Carol_Roberts
02-23-2003, 01:08 AM
I vote for picking them out yourself! What fun to tour the facilites and see all the discus. The more common colors are usually cheaper.

Smokey
02-23-2003, 06:19 AM
You have a tough choice to make there buddy. Buy a few for more dollars, or buy many for a few dollars. Obviously, you have some very good suppliers to choose from !
I would certainly visit Jack Wattley's , just for the expierence !
What ever you deceide, choose the best your wallet can afford... or just buy the best and to he** with the wallet. An empty wallet is easyier to carry, right http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/4/jawdown.gifhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/k/jarswim.gif
LOL>.

Smokey

02-23-2003, 11:48 AM
Russ, you have laid out $$$$ for the tank, stand, heaters, filters, airpumps, plants and many other items......Spend the extra few bucks and get the best discus you can get....Remember if you go will smaller 2 inch fish you will be spending the next year + growing them out.....You dont want to look back a year from now wishing you had done it differently.

JMO Randy

dm
02-23-2003, 04:56 PM
I would always hand pick my fish if I had the oppertunity too. Unfortunatly I don't have a breeder near me to do that with. The lfs around here will not have the same quality. I vote for taking a ride to jacks.

RAWesolowski
02-25-2003, 02:55 AM
Russ,

Shame we don't know where you live. We usually can direct you to a reputable hobbyist or breeder in your area. It's always nice to pick out your first fish. It's particularly nice to see them grow... think small.

Russ
02-25-2003, 03:49 AM
I think I will goto Jacks and pick out my own fish, by the way I e-mailed A Discus Dream twice over a 3 week period asking for a ball park figure when his new advertised Blue-Whites and second generation San Merah's would be ready and that I was intrested, he didn't respond, I guess he dosen't want my business.

Smokey
03-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Hey Russ;;;
Did you get over to Jacks,????. Tell all.

Smokey

Dennis_Hardenburge
03-08-2003, 04:43 PM
This might not be the right place to post this, but when tanks are sold they go by the outside measurements.
The actuall amount of water the tank holds can be some what less, not counting the displacement objects in the tank take.
This can be very important when medicateing.
As an example my 180 gallon full to the brim holds 162 gallons of water, my 65s hold 59.5 gallons.
and yes Russ if you have the opertunity to go pick out your fish I certainly would. Of course if they don't have the strain you want then you might have to order sight unseen.
As every one else has stated the cost of the fish is nothing compared to your time raising and careing for them.
Dennis

03-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Excellent point Dennis.

At the beginning and just resently at a friends tank I have made measurements and was astounded what difference it made.

Ronald