PDA

View Full Version : Discus in a 29 Gallon?

fishkid26
02-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Can discus live in a 29 gallon? If they can how many?

nicole415
02-22-2003, 02:25 PM
From what I have read on simply, the bigger the better, but yes, you would just have to limit the amount of discus. They say you should allow 10 gallons of water for each adult discus. For juve's you could have more, but you would have to move some out when they grow larger.

I would suggest a 55 gallon, if you haven't already bought the 29. If you have the 29 already I would go ahead with it. Believe me it is a learning experience, but well worth it if you are just starting out. If you then have success, you can always upgrade to a larger tank. Or you may become addicted and want more tanks!!!!!!!!!!

LOL
Nicole :) ;D

Tyler
02-22-2003, 02:35 PM
I kept five 2.5-3" fish in a 30 gallon for a while, but once they got over that 3" mark i moved them up. I like that size tank a lot for a pair.....but outside of that, you'll have to go bigger.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Tyler

dm
02-23-2003, 04:59 PM
I agree totally. I had 6 small Discus in a 29 for a while but you will have to keep in mind that you are going to have to do something with some of them before too long. They get bigger quick. Now I have 4 other small ones in there and they will be fine for a little while. Eventually it will only be big enough for a pair of them or new babies.

Carol_Roberts
02-23-2003, 07:14 PM
A 29 gallon is a great size for a quarantine tank for new juvenile discus. You can keep them there for a few months doing progressivly larger and larger daily water changes until you can move them to a 55.

Later the 29 is a perficet size for a breeding pair and to grow out discus fry for a few weeks. It's also the perfect size for a hospital tank to treat sick fish.

AS your discus grow larger the water will foul more quickly in the 29. You can do twice daily 75% water changes with aged water or you can move your discus to a bigger tank and just do one water change per day.

mattrox
11-21-2003, 10:16 PM
All this information is great! I am going to use up all the remaining space in my brain processing all of this.

crazy4discus
11-21-2003, 10:19 PM
yes of course you can keep discus in a 29gal but as they get old they will need more room i had 10 babies in a 20 gal intil they were 3-3.5 then i moved them to a 55 gal which they are liveing in now

Mykiss
11-22-2003, 12:32 AM
fishkid26, how many discus do you plan to get? I guess it all depends on what you plan to do. If you plan to get small fish i.e. toonie sized then sure, a bunch will do, but if you plan to get adults, not too many. THe general rule is 1 per 10 gallons. However, as you will read through all the posts that rule can be broken. If you plan on keeping discus and breeding them, you will notice (and a bunch of other people can vouch for me) that bigger is better and also more the better....tanks that is. you'll see. But for starting from small fish, using the 29 gallon would do fine. good luck
pt

discuslover87
12-01-2003, 10:36 PM
I started out with a 29G discus tank, bought a compatible adult pair of discus from a breeder, and it was successful. Just make sure you do water changes. I am upgrading to a 55G now, but the 29G worked.