PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter help

nicole415
02-22-2003, 02:20 PM
I am new to discus and have never used a sponge filter. I have a Topfin 60 and an Aquaclear 300 on my 55 gallon with 2 lg discus and 3 small. The spongefilter is for up to 80 gallons. I wanted to add this to my tank so I could remove my gravel in a couple of weeks.

The sponge filter came with no instructions, just vague instructions on outside of box. I am understanding it correctly that all you have to do is connect an airline to it? It says you can use it on a powerhead also. Could yu explain that too? :P

If all you have to do is attack to airline, I have 2 bubble wands in tank, do I need to keep them too? My discus seem to like to sit in the bubbles when the lights are out!

What exactly do I need??????????? :-\

Tyler
02-22-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm guessing you are talking about Hydro Sponges.....since i know one of them is rated at 80 gallons. All ya gotta do is take and air pump with a piece of airline tubing, and hook it up to the top. Plug it in.....and your good to go. It says they can be used in conjunction with airstones (which i do with some of mine) and powerheads, but it's easiest to just leave it be.
HTH

Tyler

Carol_Roberts
02-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi Nicole, just take a line from the bubble wand and attach it to the sponge filter.

Richman
02-22-2003, 06:11 PM
I disconnect the top piece of the sponge filter where the airline attaches and put a short length of airline and an airstone on the bottom. Then I put it back together and attach the main airline to the top. That makes the airflow through the filter come from a lower point and increases the bubbles. I think this increases the draw of the filter and makes it work better. Maybe not but it makes sense to me anyway.

Tyler
02-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Rich,
I did the same exact thing as you with most of my hydros....but left a couple regular, as i like the greater surface agitation provided by the non-airstone ones.

Tyler

engineguy129
02-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Ditto,
I have a hydrosponge 4 with just the air line connected up, as Rich and Tyler..............better aggitation.

Rob ;D

RichieE
02-25-2003, 12:48 PM
I do what Richman does and agree with him. Rich