PDA

View Full Version : Feeding cones

pissydiscus
02-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Anyone use these feeder cones like below? I feed my discus three hikari frozen foods that I currently just drop in the tank, they rip it apart then scavange the bottom for the rest of the missed/uneaten food. I'm just wondering if this would be better for them.

http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/1/1083810526B.jpg

Francisco_Borrero
02-23-2003, 01:12 AM
I have seen pictures posted where you can see the cones, so some people use them.
I have several but don't use them because I have had fish that in the frenzy about feeding, get scratched with the cones. So now I just drop the blocks of frozen stuff (mysids, brine shimp and bloodworms). I cut beefheart into pieces using a knife.
HTH, Francisco.

Ardan
02-23-2003, 08:25 AM
I have tried them with live blackworms too, but the fish are more of a bottom eater anyway, so I just put the food in the tank and they eat it all.
My tank is BB and they leave no leftovers ;D

hth

BlueTurquoise
02-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey Timiddiscus,

I use them alot. I have not had problems like Francisco regarding frensy and hurting themselves, but then again all my fish are older and are steady feeders as apposed to frenzied mob.

I like them becuase the fish get at the food before it sinks to the bottom and mixes with the gunk there. I also put pellets in there cuase this is a good way of allowing the pellets to soak in water before they eat it to avoid bloating. The only bad thing about this is that somethimes the bottom of the tank can be littered with tiny bits of powered food as it has been "filtered" through the tiny holes in the feeder as the fish feeds. But this is easy enough as I scrub the tank everyday anyway.

I have tried it with blood worms, brine shrimp and black worms. It works well...

Chong

02-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I was under the impression that those are only for live foods. Blackworms crawl out of the holes to escape the tight space, which allows for a timely release of food for the fish. If it works with frozen foods too, that's great. Bottom line: if you have BB tanks you don't need them but they can be very beneficial for gravel tanks.

thebaglady
02-24-2003, 12:05 PM
I agree with SeaDiscus.... if you have a gravel bottomed tank and you want your fish to eat every last CBW, these cones are the way to go. Worms can live a LONG time in the gravel--I have no idea how or why! ??? But I've also had them clutter around in killifish mops for days, months, years???

Most of my larger fish eat CBW so quickly that the worms don't have the chance to reach the bottom, but in tanks where they need a "slow release", like say you had fish of different sizes and the little ones just never get their share, the cones would be helpful. Maybe even two cones, one in the area where the active eaters feed, one in a quiet area where the little ones hang.

spartyblaze
03-28-2003, 12:55 PM
I love cones.......

What I mean is - I use the cones for my feeding, and I've never had any problems with feeding frenzy - though everybody is excited to see me introduce frozens into the cone. I'm also amused to see my fish come to the top of the tank when i've gone too long without feeding them. And I NEVER have to clean any excess food around the tank, which is nice too.

I'd suggest to anybody to spend a couple bucks on one just to try it out.

Blaze