PDA

View Full Version : discus not eating

fishkid26
02-23-2003, 08:58 PM
I just got my first discus yesterday ;D. But he/she wont eat. Any suggestions on getting it to eat?

SnowCichlid
02-23-2003, 09:01 PM
its normal fish of all types will refuse to eat until they are more comfortable with their surroundings

Don_Lee
02-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Typically it does take a bit for a discus to settle in. Also, did you find out what the LFS/breeder was feeding? That can be very helpful, as most discus are going to eat what is familiar first. Also, have you tried a variety of foods, are you familiar with what discus are typically fed?

Don

02-23-2003, 09:08 PM
As with the acclimation of all discus, I suggest turning the heat up gradually to 88-90 degrees and adding non-iodized salt at 1 Tbs. per 10 gallons to relieve stress.

BlueBull
02-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi

What I do to get my new bought Discus to eat is to introduce 5 Platies or Guppies into the tank and feed little bits often. The Platies/Guppies are ferocious feeders when there is food and the Discus tend to copy them and soon also start to feed when food is introduced. Once your Discus is feeding, remove the Platies/Guppies if desired.

It works for me. Hope it works for you. ;)

chirohorn
02-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Did you only purchase 1 discus? As juveniles, they are more comfortable in a community of 4-6. So if you have enough room, I'd recommend getting a few more.

fishkid26
02-27-2003, 09:56 PM
I have 3 juvenille discus in the tank. I actually bout two new discus that(not 1) and they are still not eating and its been three days. They are only two inches and i have another discus in there that is 3 inches. Could it be that the 3 inch is not letting the two inch discus eat

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Three is a bad number for discus :-\ It could well be that the 3 inch tank owner won't let the new little discus settle in enough to eat. Do you see him chasing them? Do they hide in a corner of the tank?

fishkid26
02-27-2003, 11:03 PM
He does chase them sometimes and they usually hide when he does chase them.

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2003, 11:34 PM
You can try a divider.

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Carol's definitely right about the divider. I was keeping severums a few years back and was trying to acclimate 2 new fish (which I believed to be females) in a 55 gallon with a huge male that I had. He would bully them relentlessly, having become accustomed to being the king of the tank.

I sectioned them off with a divider and let the big guy get a look at them and become accustomed to them and in 3 weeks they were all good friends.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work this quickly, and in some instances it doesn't work at all, but it gives the new fish a chance!

John

02-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Seadiscus is too generous with the temp. i'll move up to 90-92 degree and double the amount of salt if they still refuse to eat after Seadiscus's recommanded doseage. Regradless of how rough the treatment they had during transportation. All healthy discus should be up looking for food the next day.
Jimmy.