PDA

View Full Version : Results of 68 F for 12 hours on discus

discusnovice
02-24-2003, 08:02 PM
What would be the expected results if your young discus were subjected to 68 degrees temp for 12 to 14 hours??

How would they react ?? Would they most probably recover from any problems that this may cause ??

Your thoughts please !!

Jeff
02-24-2003, 08:10 PM
While they will not enjoy the temp if brought up slowly I think most will recover from this. I just recieved a shipment that the airline put in the wrong cargo place on the plane and were in transit for 14 hours. Four hours after they landed and cleared I picked them up and the water warmed up to about 44 degrees. 48 hours later about 45% still survived. One important factor is to bring the temp up slowly.

dm
02-24-2003, 08:13 PM
I am not sure but I know I hope I never have to find out. :)

Carol_Roberts
02-24-2003, 08:56 PM
I've had power outages where the temp has dropped. When the power came on the heater began heating the water back to normal temperature. My discus were fine.

I would watch for typical discus stress symptoms. . . . Dark, not eating, hanging back, etc.

discusnovice
02-24-2003, 09:02 PM
Carol: That is the picture. They are hanging in the rear of the tank behind the sponge at a head down 45 degree angle. One is behind the reverse flow tube and stays there. One of them swims about but shows no interest in food if it falls in front of him/her.

I started with the recommended amount of salt and had the temp at 88 for the first few days. Someone suggested that I bring it up to 91 which I did.

Will their sickness pass on to the two that are healthly and eating well??

Thanks for responding to my question !!

Carol_Roberts
02-24-2003, 11:38 PM
I don't know. They may all recover with heat, salt and daily water changes. The may start pooping white stringy feces, in which case you would treat with metro