PDA

View Full Version : What is Pigeon Blood?

YZFR1rider
02-24-2003, 08:22 PM
I have been noticing some discus at the LFS called Pigeon Blood but not sure if they are regular discus or if they are some discus mixed with some other fish the LFS guy didn't even know lol. Are these pure discus and do they get stripes? Any info is appreciated.

Matt

bmrin1
02-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Matt,
Yes the are real discus. They are a mutation though. Back about 10 years ago or so this mutation occured. The original pigeons had a lot of black speckling or "peppering" al over their body. This is how it got its name. Their is more to the story then that but for fear of butchering the story I will not try to tell it.
Pigeons are pretty cool and a lot of the new strains on the market owe their existance to the pigeon blood. Pigeon blood disucs are dominate over all other varieties as far as genetics are concerned.
Brian

dm
02-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Mine have some light stripes because they are a cross, but I think most don't. Check out Carols reply in this post.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=6106;st art=0

Tony
02-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Is marblo red a kind of pb?

dm
02-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Yes a Marlboro Red is a cross from a Pigeon Blood.

Tony
02-25-2003, 09:44 PM
does the variant organize by
a) marlbor red is a variant under the pb groupd of variant
b) or it is a kind of variant by its ownright... or does marlbor red breed marlboro red always gives marlboro red?

c) or you have to breed pb with some other vairant to give marlboror red reliably?

Thanks.
ps, I always have a fasciantion on pb. I tend to loose all my pb beforee they mature. I do not know whether it is lack of stress bar or
they are more diffcult to raise