PDA

View Full Version : DIY backgrounds. help please......

Kagan
02-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Is there any way of making one of those solid backgrounds like the ones in JUWE tanks. The ones that stand inside the tank??? I guess they are made from construction foams. But I need some tips and how to's... Please help.. Thanks in advance..

Kagan

02-25-2003, 05:29 PM
Ya know Kagan?... I am real trying hard to imagine what you are asking.... You want it placed inside the tank? Wouldn't it harbor a whole lot of nasties? ... I'm stumped, lol... But, sometimes it doesn't take much to stump me either.... :P

Kagan
02-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Hi Julz,

hmm.. How can I explain? It is dark colored. Thickness about 1 inches. Feels like foam. But still you should see it. You can some web companies. They are sold as backgrounds. You will definitely recognize. Anyway thank you for your interest. Still waiting for the ideas.....

Kagan

Denny
02-25-2003, 08:49 PM
kagan

can you post a picture or a link ? i am not quite getting it either. maybe it's a minniesohtah thing huh julz? ;D

Kagan
02-26-2003, 07:58 AM
http://www.langardirect.com/product/Juwel.htm

here is one. You can see some of these in the middle/bottom of the page. There is also application at the bottom.

Kagan

02-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Ive seen these before, they are made of high density foam.....with a three dimentional design Pressed?/melted?/sculpted? into it..My first thought was that they would be HELL to keep clean.
No Idea how you would go about making one yourself....actually, the three dimentional design would probably not be that difficult....finding a finish that would stay on it being constantly submerged, and be non-toxic might be difficult though.

Tony

Ralph
02-26-2003, 11:00 AM
I think I know what you are talking about, I saw a website by someone, I think he was Dutch, where he showed how to build an entire intank structure out of carved styrofoam, it looked amazing.
This site isn't the same thing but it has details on working with these types of materials:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_other_netmax_styro.htm

Kagan
02-26-2003, 04:50 PM
thanks for the links. I found what I need from these and another link.

Kagan

Smokey
03-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Kagan; just what the h*#l are you up to now??
You must have too much time on you hands LOL>>> or trying to compete with the Dutch!
Come on now, boy.. lets see what you are planning to do ; and where to get the material..
Sounds like a very interesting project.

Smokey
Your buddy in the frozen north

thirston
03-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Something that may work for you is to build it out of art resin or the same clear stuff used on surfboards. Similar to the stuff that is used in artistic applications like the controversial sectional animals shown in New York museums. Lay out a large piece of cardboard and design your wall (it'll look similar to a geological survey map or topographic layout) using piles of sand, balled up newspaper, or whatever else floats your boat on top of it. Now simply pour/form the liquid resin over this horizontal structure (you may wish to apply a fiberglass cloth first). When it sets, clean off the back side of the structure (where the leftover paper, sand, etc... was) and cut it to size so that when placed vertically it'll fit the rear of your aquarium. It's not very heavy and you can even mix in dyes to color it before it sets which will help avoid post construction paints or waxes which could come off in the aquarium. You may want to look into polystyrene as well. Have fun.

Kagan
03-08-2003, 07:10 AM
hahahhahahahaah Smokey?? Are you not frozen yet?? ;D ;D :P

Thanks for the idea Andrew. I will check the price of art resin if I can find it.

But I was thinking of polyurethane foam as the main background. Like Andrew said, I will lay it on a board and give the shape. I also think of making it from 4-5 parts which can be attached to eachother. So that I can modify the vbackground from time time.

Then, since the PU foam is yellowish, I want to paint it or coat it with sand of something like that. IF I paint it what should I use for painting????

Now, I have a background theoritically ;).. I THINK I have to coat the stuff with something so that it will not affect my tank water and harm my fish. Here, I couldn't find anything. In fact acrylic resin, epoxy resin, fiberglass resin seem to be the options. For the coating, what should I use again??? What are your opinions?? Other than these you can tell other things as well....

Thank you for the help from now.

Kagan

Discusgeo
03-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Kagan if you read the entire web link you provides it say's you need 1 tube of Silcone sealant to glue it on the back of your tank, not inside it. So I think if you find the foam you want could could create any type of background you desire. It give you the oppurtunity to creat your own designs and then you can market them.

Kagan
03-08-2003, 09:58 AM
George,

The background I am talking about is put inside the tank. That's why I am making a research to prevent the foam and/or the paint to harm the fish and the tank parameters. I hope I am clear. Anyway, thanks for the interest...

Kagan

Discusgeo
03-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Kagan what I think you need to do is make a template out of foam for your design and then pore a clear resin that you can pull off once it dry. From there you may be able to find some sort of water proof paint or add color to the resin.

Kagan
03-08-2003, 11:39 AM
yeah I agree but the problem is what to use as a paint and a resin?? There are lots of types... I do not know which one is harmful and which one is not... What do you think??

Kagan

Discusgeo
03-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Read this short article on what someone used on there chiclid tank. I will see what else I can find. You may be able to Email the person and see what type of resin was used.

http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/Tanganyikan.htm

You can even Email these folks they may have the resin you need.
http://www.shopmaninc.com/

Kagan
03-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Hi,

I have e-mailed the person :). I guess I have to wait now. I also made some more research and now I am member to a polymer forum ;D.. I will DO IT!!!

Kagan

Discusgeo
03-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Don't forget to post some of the pictures after you get them built, who knows you may start a buying frenzy for backgrounds. Good luck with the project and tell us the materials that you used.

Smokey
03-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Kagan, hows the weather up your way ? We've been trapped in a huge blizzad for the last 10 days. Tons and tons of fresh snow.... 700mm. Ahh winter!!!

Smokey

Kagan
03-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Aaaaaargh!! Don't send them over here Smokey!! Pleaseeeee.... Everything is going just fine here ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.... Let them snow there.. ;) Take care...

Kagan

Smokey
03-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Hey Kagan - How about an update on your background[s] project.

Kagan
03-26-2003, 05:40 AM
At the moment I am waiting for a friend of mine. He knows a guy who built a background like my project before. But my friend is in Russia now :(... Since I couldn't find the right type of resin, I have to wait now I guess :(... But I will write an update as soon as my friend gets back.

thebaglady
03-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Here is a link that was in the biotope section that might help:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=7501;sta rt=15

Good luck and do try to post pics of your creation. Jen K.

korbi_doc
04-12-2003, 06:34 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Dogggonnitt!!! All you smart guys out there with time on your hands, why can't you get these backgrounds??????? They are called "BACK TO NATURE" & are a special blend of polyurethanes. They are available only in Europe da #@+*#ttt, & are expensive. They go INSIDE the aquarium & are very beautiful & nontoxic!! I would love to be able to get them. They look like rock face & large deep roots etc. Take a look! Sorry, don't know how to put in links. I punched in Back to Nature aquarium backgrounds. Couldn't someone become a distributor in this country?? I can't get over there!! lol, Dottie ;D :o ::) ;D :o ::)

thebaglady
04-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Yes. I've seen them Dottie. Not in real life tho. They are beautiful, very realistic. Run $200-300 I've heard. They have filtration built in. Too bad we don't have 'em here (YET!!) Maybe soon??? Jen K.

korbi_doc
04-12-2003, 09:20 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Boy!! I wish, Jen, Dottie 8) 8)

Discusgeo
04-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Here is how one of the backgrounds was made for a chiclid tank
http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm

korbi_doc
04-13-2003, 10:37 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: WOW!! George, that is really nice!! Great imagination, & patience. I can visualize some java moss, fern anubias etc growing around that. Don't think I'd have 'nuff savvy & patience to do it tho, just want to drop a Back to Nature in. Thanx for that beautifully done piece tho.
Dottie ;D ;D ;D

thebaglady
04-13-2003, 11:21 AM
George,

Really cool!! I'm glad plastic was laid over the LR carpet as the lava rock pieces were siliconed into place! That looks funny in the picture. LOL

It looks fantastic once installed and I'll bet the fish just LOVE all the little caves. Plus much cheaper than the BTNature ones.

BTW, a friend of mine uses that same stuff (vinyl gutter) to make hoods for fluor. lights. He lines it with metal flashing, installs ballast and end caps and voila....instant light. 8)

Thanks for sharing. Jen K.

ash42
03-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi folks

You may find the information at

http://cichlidinspiration.net3services.com/

useful. ;D

Ash

Discusgeo
03-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Ash42 thanks for the new link it's should help out alot of people.
George

thebaglady
03-07-2004, 09:24 PM
great link Ash!! Man, I could be there for hours reading.

Jen K. ;)

Ardan
03-07-2004, 10:02 PM
That is a good link with a lot of info! thank you! :D

JPW
03-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Ok, so you'll had me looking at all these links posted, had to see what a $300 + background would look like! :yikes:

The I came across this link:
a DIY!

http://www.speakeasy.org/~jfd61/fish/fish3.htm

This is something I might try!

We just got a 200 gal for a show tank, and have talked for days.... what we want to do with it .
KISS ( keep it simple ) thanks Carol for the KISS rule :-*
1) discus only
2) 3/4 BB
3) 1/4 gravel ( easy to clean - this worked well with another show tank)
4) Plastic plants - OK, don't make faces at me - :-\
I can take em out and clean them- Kiss remember! ;D

KEEP IT EASY TO CLEAN!

the rest is still in the planning stage as the base is being built right now.

But this posting gave us some great ideas!!!!!
thanks
Jim

justathome
03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
somethin like mine!?!

JPW
03-08-2004, 12:20 PM
justathome!

That is fantastic!
question, any problems with alge growth, or with the sand applied with resin, can it be wiped down easily?

I was thinking maybe I should think about making one to be placed behind the tank instead?

in the link of the "thread" I posted, it was glued to the tank, i am not sure i really want to do that, I am afraid CBB would wiggle and get behind it and then it would not be easily cleaned.

again I want to say - Fantastic!

justathome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jim

justathome
03-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi Jim..

This is a Back to Nature jobby, all hand painted and does not have sand glued to it.
On custom backgrounds they are time consuming, and it is hard to find materials that do not leach.
These are moulded expanding foam jobbies and then hand painted. I have never found the info on what they use to do this.
Algea does build up and makes it look even more natural. I have a flash pleco and a bristly and they munch away the algea no problem, and nothing comes off the back ground, so no problems there with poisoning etc.
Dirt and poo does build up and can be bit of a pain to get to syphon out.
Mine is a Jewel background specifically disigned for the Jewel tanks with built in filters/ heaters. and leave plenty of space for another filter if required.
these can purchased for ordinary tanks and cut to size without any probs, and you can just fix it with Aquarium Silicon.
I stitched the sealant to leave gaps for water flow through the gaps, as the background is not flat at the back of it,so leaves large areas.
This also reduces hard to reach build up of c**p.
Hope this helps..

justin.