PDA

View Full Version : ph 5.6 gh 11 isnt this weird

DISCOMEXICO
02-25-2003, 05:21 PM
hi everyone, first of all congratulations on the forum, is great, i would like to begin by posting a questin that has beeing runing on my head all week long
my ph is 5.6 which i think is great, my aquarium hosts 9 discus the temperature is around 28°c and i had a couple of spawnings last week however the discus devoured their egs, mi question is regarding my GH which is at 11 degrees, after aplying peat moss and a water sortener by azoo aquarium products, is this Gh bad for my fish?, should I change it? how?

well thanks in advance for your replies and forgive the speling erors ;D

Carol_Roberts
02-25-2003, 06:21 PM
GH 11 is probably too hard for your eggs to be fertilized and hatch. My guess is that peat will not soften it enough to make a difference.

For fertile eggs you will need to add a percentage of water that has been run through a Reverse Osmossis filter. RO water has most all the minerals removed.

I use a 50/50 mix to make GH 6 when I need water for breeding.

DISCOMEXICO
02-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Carol, so I should make a 50/50 change in order to lower my Gh but wouldnt this afect my ph values?
???, thanks for your prompt response!!!

Ardan
02-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi,
Carol was talking about using 50% of your normal water and 50% oF RO (reverse osmosis filter) water mixed together for water changes.

The RO water has almost no minerals and will have a gh of about 1 or 2. This mixed with your gh 11 will give you a gh of maybe 5 or 6. This will be better for spawning.

The ph can be over 7 and still have good hatches.

hth

Carol_Roberts
02-26-2003, 02:43 AM
I believe the pH of RO water is 7.0

If the water added to your tank is GH 6 I would guess the KH is high enough so the pH won't crash

DISCOMEXICO
02-26-2003, 01:37 PM
tHANK YOU ALL, i WILL PROCEED TO BUY THE WATER BOTELS AND LET YOU KNOW OF FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS.

bEST REGARDS