PDA

View Full Version : Bio Wheels - How much water...

giroux68
02-26-2003, 01:30 PM
How much water should be going over the bio wheel? I have a magnum 350 with 2 wheels. There is only a trickle of water over these. They both spin contineously, which is what marineland says is OK. My though was more water overs these the better, would adding a small power head to the input of the wheels to increase flow be needed?

Kap
02-26-2003, 02:04 PM
I have the Emperor 400 and it seems to be about the same. Though I am unfamiliar with the 350, not a whole lot of H2O goes through/over the wheels. I do not think you have anything to worry about, though, provided the rest of the system is working.

Carol_Roberts
02-26-2003, 05:50 PM
I think the bacteria need a period of time in contact with the ammonia in the water to convert it to nitrIte. When I had Emperor 400s the bio wheels turned fairly slowly.

Be sure the holes in the spray bar aren't clogged . . . .

Discmaniac
02-26-2003, 10:11 PM
I have nearly the same set-up except I have a Magnum 250. The wheels seem to have aged enough to spin unevenly, but constantly. Marineland says this is normal as you posted.

One thing I have found out though relates to Carol's post. The spray bars can plug up. As long as all the holes in the spray bars are clear you should be good to go IM Rookie O.

Another type of wet/dry I am using is the Whisper Wet/Dry WDF 4000 in my Discus tank. I have heard criticism about this filter at a LFS before due to its low flow rate (maybe that's why Tetra quit maikng them?), but am very happy with how this filter keeps the water crystal clear. A trickle is a trickle is a trickle of purer water coming out than going in.

Bill
Discus Rookie