PDA

View Full Version : PHOSPHATE PADS

jim_shedden
02-27-2003, 12:49 PM
Has anyone ever used these pads that are sold at pet stores? They are about 6" x 10". You cut them to fit your filter.

Jim

Mick M
03-01-2003, 07:50 AM
Jim,

are these marketed as Poly Filters?

jim_shedden
03-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Mick : These are made buy a company called : HBH out of Utah, USA.

jim

Francisco_Borrero
03-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Jim, I have never used those pads, but when I started my planted tank (4 years ago), I used another phosphate removing thing for a while, as I was having algae problems. I used Kent's "Phosphate sponge", a remover of silicate and phosphate. It is like granules (not a pad) that one puts in a mesh bag inside the filter. I bought a big jar, and used it in two external filters, for probably 2-3 months or so, replacing it often but not as often as recommended. I stopped using it because the algae problems went away and still have half a jar that haven't needed it. So I would say it works well.
I did use some pads very briefly (I think they were made by Jungle, but am not sure), and I didn't think they helped me.

HTH at all. Cheers, Francisco.

jim_shedden
03-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks Francisco

jim

jim_shedden
03-05-2003, 09:05 AM
I put the pads in a couple of days ago and I am amazed at how clear the water is.
I put them in a 90 gallon filtered bya AC500. I left the other 5 tanks alone. The algae build up on the others in 3 days is disgusting. The 90 is crystal clear. I ususally have to scrub the tanks every other day and this is even with 30% wc's every day so I am finding these pads very helpful.

Jim

Mick M
03-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Jim, I have been trying to dig out the information on Waterworlds Polyfilter but just cant find it!
Anyway, the point of this was because it is sold in different size sheets/pads which have differing strengths, this was not known by people for many years. It does work but you need the right size to do the job in question.
It appears you have found something that works so I'll put the room back together and keep "er indoors" happy. >:(
Regards
Mick M.