PDA

View Full Version : blue koi angelfish

Ryan
02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Surprise, surprise... I have nearly free-swimmers from my pair. See them on the slate? A few rebels have left the nest to go out exploring... mom and dad are having one hell of a time trying to restick them to the spawning site with their brothers and sisters.

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
02-27-2003, 11:09 PM
:thumbsup: Looking good Ryan!

Is the the first free swimmers from this pair?

Jeffery_Doty
02-28-2003, 12:43 AM
Ryan,

I really like that angel! Can you post more pictures please. How do they get the "blue" koi? What are they crossing it with?

Jeff
Oregon

Ryan
02-28-2003, 01:22 AM
Thanks, Carol :) This is the pair's first batch of free-swimmers. They have been cleaning the slate for 2 months now and I was wondering if I would ever get fry.

It was completely dark in my room one night, no tank lights or night light, and I was getting ready for bed. I turned my computer monitor on so that I could see my way around the room and I noticed a reflection off the female's scales in the tank. She was swimming up the slate. I clicked on the tank lights, and sure enough, they were spawning in complete darkness! Maybe that's the secret with this pair.

Jeff, "blue koi" are really marbled blue blushing angelfish. The genetics look like this, Gm/+ - S/S. Regular koi are Gm/Gm - S/S or Gm/g - S/S. My male shows a couple gold flecks on his forehead, so I'm not sure if he's truly a "blue koi" or if he's just a regular koi that didn't develop any gold. I was told that the fry would be a mix of regular koi and blue koi, so we will see.

I personally like the "blue koi" better, but that's my preference. I love my koi pair just as well though.

Ryan

Ryan
02-28-2003, 01:23 AM
:)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/bluekoi3.jpg

Lynn
02-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Hey Ryan! They look really nice....hope the fry do well for ya!
I agree...I like the blue koi too!
;DLynn

02-28-2003, 02:57 AM
congratulations ryan....good luck raising them up.. :)

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Ryan,

Those are absolutely gorgeous fish. Congratulations! I am now feeling like maybe I should have tried to get some of Jeff Richard's angels at the NE Meeting a few months back...

John

aloha_discus
02-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Aloha Ryan, its great to see the fry and beautiful parents. I have had a couple of spawns but no fry from my pair of koi. Male is extremely aggressive. Not to his mate but to me. I clean thier home everyother day and he attacks me the whole time. Kind of neat.

There will be a time when I would like to do some trading with you, may be for some of the fry from the blue pair. By the way do your other koi pair have any fry yet or is it still a work in progress.

Take Care of You and Yours, Ike ;D

Ryan
02-28-2003, 03:26 PM
I had some week-old free swimmers from my standard koi pair, and then poof, they were all dead one morning. All 30+ of them. I still don't know what happened.

I have noticed that the blue koi fry are bigger and seem more active. Maybe genetics play a role. They seem stronger than my other koi fry did.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep trying. I'm gonna try to get a pic of dad and the swarm, he's doing a good job of herding them around. The blue koi went free swimming today :)

Ryan

Ryan
02-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Update time...

Ryan
02-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Notice the glaring red eye of mom and the way she has her head cocked toward me... she does not like me, or the camera, or the siphon hose... or anything else for that matter. She refuses to eat and attacks my hand when I try to feed them. Dad is more gentle with me and lets me put my fingers near the fry.

Notice the nosey neighbor next door? Seeing all those fry have put my other koi pair into spawning mode. They should be laying again in a couple days.

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2003, 12:47 AM
Those are great pictures Ryan!

Ryan
03-01-2003, 01:12 AM
Thanks, Carol. Now Jim needs to come and take close-ups of my fry :)

Ryan

thebaglady
03-01-2003, 01:21 AM
Great looking pair and healthy amount of fry! How's the prices on BBS eggs right now?! :)

Discusgeo
03-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Nice Angels Ryan