PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Breeding pair of Discus

discusgeek
02-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Looking for a breeding pair of discus

email me at nopichic2@aol.com

hunterbeav
02-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Have you ever asked yourself why would someone sell the goose that lays golden eggs. Why not just sell the eggs, goodluck my friend :)

02-28-2003, 02:34 AM
further to what jim said: If someone sold you a breeding pair, you'd probably have to pay a few hundred dollars. Why not spend that few hundred dollars on as many nice adults as you can afford and wait til they pair up?? Even if you find someone honest who's actually selling you a proven breeding pair, the fish might not breed for you. By the same token, you could buy some adults that are not breeding for the previous owner, and they might breed for you like crazy... ;)

ReeferKimberly
02-28-2003, 03:18 AM
i want one too!!!
wait wait wait wait wait wait wait......
that's what i'm up to.
kim :-*

02-28-2003, 10:06 AM
No harm asking. Some hobbyist are not breed for the money, just for the fun of it. I have been selling many proven pairs wiith fry on their backs all the time. All I need is one or two broods from them and see how they turn out with different crosses. I have no use for them after that. I constantly run out of tank space. It is down to the rose bush or down into your bucket. But don't ask me now. I don't ship.
Jimmy.

BLUEKNIGHT
02-28-2003, 10:55 AM
People in it for the money wont sell you one or sell you one for a really high price. People in the hobby will sell you one at a reasonable price reason being they need the space and are always trying out different strains.

SSTurner
02-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Where you from? I have some pair's, about 8 of them. To many for me. but I don't ship.

Jeff
02-28-2003, 12:53 PM
I would follow Jims advice. There will be a lot of "breeders" out there willing to sell you pairs you will never get to spawn. Buy a few adults and let them pair up. 8)

Dennis_Hardenburge
02-28-2003, 01:33 PM
I am surprised there are so many negative coments here.
I agree it is cheaper to buy several fish and let a pair form in your tank.
But I like Jimmy have limited space and my interest changes and I have sold a lot of pairs that breed for there new owners.
And I know a lot of small breeders like myself that sell good pairs.
Dennis

John_Nicholson
02-28-2003, 01:34 PM
It is all in if you trust the breeder. I have gotten good pairs and I have been screwed it all depends. The best place to get one is a hobby breeder like me. I work with about 5 pairs at a time. Right now I have 2 very nice young pairs that I have not pulled out of a growout tank because I don't have room for them. Not trying to sell them here. I have buyers I am just trying to decide which of the older pairs to part with.

-john

discusgeek
02-28-2003, 02:37 PM
i just picked up 2 wild heckels they were away from all the other discus sitting right next to each other so i figured i would give them a shot they look great cost me $200 there 6 inches my luck there same sex ;D i guess i will find out thanks for the replys everyone

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Discusgeek,

Let's see some pics/hear how the new fish are doing when they have settled in!

John

discusgeek
02-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Sure thing i think they will be happy they have a 220 gallon tank all to them selves

Jeff
02-28-2003, 03:32 PM
I agree with Dennis, but when you are starting out there are a lot of folks that will offer to sell "proven pairs" that will never breed. We all know this and that is why we are so cautious. After being in the hobby for a while you get to know folks and know who you could buy from without getting ripped off. You are right there are a lot of folks that will sell great pairs for reasonable money, the only problem is finding them when you are new to the hobby and a novice with discus. Good Luck!!! :thumbsup:

DIZ
02-28-2003, 05:01 PM
SSTurner
Where do you live?
DIZ

chirohorn
02-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Ummm...his profile says Rochester, NY. :D

Midwest Discus
02-28-2003, 08:06 PM
The truth as others have said is that a proven pair for one is not always proven for another. I have a fishroom that holds 20 tanks. I have had 12 breeder pairs at one time. So, I have sold pairs at one time or another. But, I try to be honest with people and if the pair has raised fry I will tell them. If not, I will also tell them. Sometimes I run out of room and sell pairs. But I always warn people it is a gamble. I sold a pair to a friend of mine locally. He saw the pair with fry on their backs. Once they went to his home, they never raised another batch of fry.