PDA

View Full Version : Temperature

amirnezhad
02-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Ok, There is 2 questions that I have about water temperature for Discus:
1) What do you suggest for the best temperature for this kind of fish?
2) is there any difference between the best water temperature, according to the kind of discas?

Thanks

darcy
02-28-2003, 10:37 AM
well my pair is in temp of 82. My adult orgy tank 84. My growouts are also 84 or 85. My little guys are in 86. HTH.
Darcy

I used to have all my discus at 86 then changed and went with lower temps. All the fish are doing great, females laying eggs everywhere!!!!!!!!
Darcy

amirnezhad
02-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi and Thanks darcy

Do you mean there is some deference between temperatures according to the size of fish? and unfortunately I dont know how old are my discuces, can I said their age according to their size to take a good design about their temperature or not? I have fishes in 2 deferent sizes, some of them are 2~2.4" and other ones are ~3.5"
Thanks

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Ali,

Younger (smaller) fish are kept in warmer temps to accelerate their metabolism and get them to eat more and grow faster. Yours are juveniles at that size and would probably benefit from warmer temps.

Adults no longer need the growth and higher temps actually interfere with males' ability to fertilize eggs. Higher temps may also decrease their life span due to the accelerated metabolism as well. So most keep their adults at lower temps on the discus scale (like 82 F).

Hth,

John

Jeff
02-28-2003, 12:47 PM
I agree with Darcy. ;D