PDA

View Full Version : Is Varying temperatue a problem?

henryD
02-28-2003, 12:04 PM
I have an 100 gallon tank that is my show tank. Unforuntately the only logical spot for the tank is next to the base board heaters.....

So my questions is because my tank is next to the heater...I don't use a heater during the winter.

My temperature for the tank varies. I would say it varies from 82-88. Would this cause any problems?

I would think in nature the water varies from morning to night so I wouldn't think there is a problem.

What does everyone think?

Jeff
02-28-2003, 12:08 PM
I think that is a big difference especially if you turn down the heat at night. I would add a heater just to level out the temps. It shouldn't have to run much. Discus thrive on consistency. ;)

yellow sub
02-28-2003, 12:16 PM
I agree with Jeff, over the long haul discus like stability. A couple of temp fluctuations probably wont make much of a difference, but over time it will cause serious stress.

Stephen

larry lob
02-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi,
Even in the wild from morning to night the temp of water only changes 1 - 3 degrees, season to season it is more however the fish get a gradual change from the temps over many hours and are unafected.

If your temps move from 82 - 88 then i would put a heater in the tank set at 86 and not worry too much about it.

my oppinion is that a 6 degree swing is too much every day, now and then no problem maybe even refreshing to the fish, but not advised in my oppinion.

HTH

Larry

Carol_Roberts
02-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Yep, I agree with the heater set at 86.

So, you must have to be very careful with water changes with your tank in front of a baseboard heater like that . . . .