PDA

View Full Version : Only one discus?

brucifer
02-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting a discus for my tank. I've read a lot of posts saying to buy several at the same time. Are there problems with only having one discus in a tank?

The tank I want a discus for is a 20 gal high. It's a community tank with 6 corydoras, 1 yoyo loach, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 otos, 3 cherry barbs, and 3 rosy barbs. I've never seen either the cherry or rosy barbs chase anything other than a member of their own species. The tank is heavily planted, but provides open swimming areas along with shaded areas. CO2 injection lowers the pH to about 7.0. The water from my tap is 3 dKH and 4 dGH. Weekly water changes and topping off maintains this. I have to add KNO3 regularly in order to get 5-10 ppm NO3 because of the plants. The tank temperature fluctuates between 80 and 82 F. It never seems to drop below 80 despite the heater (set at 76 F) never turning on.

I'm not interested in breeding discus or trying to maximize their growth with elevated temperatures (i.e., 86 F). I don't mind if my discus has stunted growth as long as it's otherwise healthy.

I just want some eyecandy and more character in my tank.

Would a single discus be fine in my tank? Could I even fit more than 1 juvenile discus? (Nitrates are well under control in my tank.) A larger tank is out of the question for the next year and a half.

jeep
02-28-2003, 02:15 PM
My experience is that the otto's will harm your discus.

You will want more discus in the future, guaranteed, and 20g is a bit too small.

If another tank is out of the question, I would wait on discus until you can get another tank in the 55+ gallon range. You won't regret it...

In the mean time, study about discus abd be prepared. They're really quite enjoyable.

DarkDiscus
02-28-2003, 02:29 PM
Brucifer,

I agree with Jeep.

The question isn't really CAN you put a discus in the 20 gallon, but should you? If the fish is crowded, becomes stunted and does not grow or look its best, the fish won't be the impressive discus specimen that attracted you to the species in the first place.

I really think that to start with discus you should be ready to do the best for the fish.

This is JMHO,

John

Jeff
02-28-2003, 03:25 PM
John is correct. A discus might not be the best choice to add to this tank. They do much better in a group of 6+ discus without other species of fish. You might want to consider starting a discus only tank. ;)

allan_mark76
02-28-2003, 07:12 PM
There is NO such thing as having one discus.... you have to have more...more.....more and then more.....ummm did I say "MORE DISCUS ! ! !" Trust me when I say this...you buy just one...you'll be buying 5 more by the weeks end....

A- ::)

dm
02-28-2003, 09:00 PM
I would worry about the Rosies too. They are extramely active and might stress the Discus out. Discus like things kept mellow.

jklnbrg
02-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting a discus for my tank. I've read a lot of posts saying to buy several at the same time. Are there problems with only having one discus in a tank?

CO2 injection lowers the pH to about 7.0. The water from my tap is 3 dKH and 4 dGH. Weekly water changes and topping off maintains this.

Since others have given opinions about one solitary discus in a smallish tank I'll give some advice about your plants and CO2. With the pH and KH values you state you only have about 9 ppm of CO2. Not nearly enough CO2 in the tank. You plants will not thrive as much as they will if you raise the CO2 levels. To calculate CO2 levels go to this link: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

You can have discus in a planted tank but it requires a bigger tank to be optimum, and more discus than one.

Good luck!

John