PDA

View Full Version : water changes

Qbal18
03-01-2003, 02:13 PM
when you do water changes do you warm the water up to the same tamp as the tank or just add cold water? the only place i can get my water form is an out side tap so there is no warm there is is cold. so i tought it woudl be good to put it in a holding tank for a day, airate it and heat it up with a heater to about 80. is that good or not needed?

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2003, 02:28 PM
It is very, very good to heat your water and aerate/agitate it prior to use. I'd heat my water to 82/84. You may not need to aerate it for 24 hours. Test the pH of your water straight from the tap. Next fill your storage barrel and let the the heater and aeration run for 3 or 4 hours and test the pH again. Test it at intervals and write down the time and pH result. You will see if how long it takes for pH to stabilize. If you have soft water it will stabilize quickly. if you have hard water like me an airstone may not be enough. Then you would have to agitate it with a pond pump - also good to fill tanks with ;)

Qbal18
03-01-2003, 03:06 PM
i got a pump in my holding tank(i just put it there last night) i just triyed to use it but it pumps water out WAY to fast to fill a tank its pressure blasts the gravel everywere it has a 1/2 hos eon it mow if i went to a 3/4 or 1" would it lower the presser enought that it would work?

Carol_Roberts
03-01-2003, 04:36 PM
You can try that. You can regulate the flow on some pumps. Pull it out and look at it.

jamesmcsyd
03-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Just like humans, fish are more prone to disease when the temperature drops.

James

Wolf
03-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Go with a smaller hose. The larger hose will just cause it to come out faster.

Jeff
03-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Your fish will love you aging and heating your water. 8)

03-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Wolf is right, a larger hose will INCREASE the flow out of your pump.

Qbal18
03-06-2003, 03:18 AM
ok thanks all for the help o got it all figured out. sinc ei am on a well and i can use that water i get city water from an out side sorce. i take 2 45g container with me i pump 1 into the holding tank inside inthe fish room heat and airate it and the second sits in a saeld container out side waiting to be used that gives me enougth wwater for 1 week in my tanks. works pretty good. and for the pump i just put a 2 adapter on it left 1 side open in the tank and hoked a hose with a nosle to the other and i cna use that to fill up my tanks with out woring about putting back pressure on the pump.