PDA

View Full Version : buying new my first discus

keiser1
03-02-2003, 06:04 AM
hi my name is mat i want to start keeping discus and am about to buy my first fish i have had and breed many types of ciclids and would love any advice i could get for i am a keen to learn as much as i possible could

thanks
mat

Ardan
03-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Hi,
Well there are many things to keep in mind with discus that are different from other cichlids.

They like warmer water, mid 80F
They like lots of clean fresh water , lots of water changes , I do 50%/day, some do 30% three times a wk.

They like to be in groups of about 6 or 8. (a 50 gal is a good size tank)

They don't do well with other fish in the tank (there are a few exceptions)
It is easier to keep the tank clean if it has no gravel.

Don't use carbon in the filter (can lead to disease in discus)
Never put new discus in with old discus without keeping them separated (quarantined) for a while to make sure they are not sick and affect the other fish.

One of the most important things is to get from a reliable source. A good breeder will have healthy fish and good customer service. (answer all questions, help with problems, even after the purchase)
I ordered mine from Cary at Great Lakes Discus (click on the banner at the top of the page, look at all the great discus pics). They were as cheap or cheaper as at the local fish store, and they have been the healthiest discus I ever had. Honest! (I don't think he ships to Australia, but I don't know, but anyone else reading this it may help to know)

Ralph
03-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi Mat and welcome to Simply.

I can't add anything to Ardan's advice. Some people who might be able to help you with finding a breeder post on this thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=2348

It's a forum within a forum where the Austalians (and New Zealanders) get together and exchange info.

jim_shedden
03-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Welcome Mat...........sorry for the punn but I couldn't resist.

Jim

Ardan
03-02-2003, 11:35 AM
HI Mat again,
I thought of a few more things.

A variety of food is good. I use flakes, live blackworms (from a good source , ie clean worms), some safe frozen foods, like Hikari (sterilized) blood worms, some pellets (soak before using to prevent swelling up in the stomach), frozen beef heart.

Keeping things stable is important. Don't add chemicals except to remove chlorine/chloramine. Messing with ph is usually not necessary.

Aging water, that is , put the water that you want to use for the aquarium in a barrel a day before you want to use it for wc's. Use good aeration and set a heater at the tank temp in the barrel. This is done if the ph of the tap water is not stable. (if you check ph out of the tap, then let the water sit overnight and check the ph again and its different)

One other note. If you see a pic of a discus that you like to have, show that pic or send an email with that pic to the breeder so they can do their best to give you what you want. You have to remember little fish may grow up to look different, especially if it comes from crossbreeding 2 or more kinds of fish. It could look like the male, or the female, or a combination, or even like one of the fish farther back in the breeding sequence. (like the granparents may be a different type) Ask the breeder what the possibilities are, or buy grown up fish. ;D

hth

Jeff
03-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Read, read, read. This board is full of great information in every section. Take you time and become familar with the info before you select your discus. ;)

keiser1
03-04-2003, 03:10 AM
hello to everyone that answered my question you have been a great help

thanks i will keep you up to date on my progress ;D :D :D :D :D

by the way are any discus stronger and easyer to keep than others

mat :P