PDA

View Full Version : What is a runt and how do you spot one?

BlueBull
03-02-2003, 06:52 AM
As in the title, how do you spot a 'runt'????
What |I|S a 'runt'?

Ardan
03-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Hi,
If you have a group of discus and there is one that is smaller than the rest, that would be the runt. Oftentimes there is a "pecking" order established in the tank too where one fish dominates and "rules" and usually the "runt" takes the brunt of the bullying. the runt may not grow much due to varying reasons, stress of being bullied could be one of the reasons.

hth

Jeff
03-02-2003, 01:43 PM
At times a runt will only reach 2-3" however the eyes will keep growing until they are the size of a full grown discus. So the eyes are not correctly sized to the body. :)

Carol_Roberts
03-02-2003, 01:58 PM
. . . and generally they are longer (nose to tail) than tall giving them a football or oval shape . . . .

Aquarius
03-02-2003, 03:31 PM
This is a pic of a runt, the discus is around 7-8 months old. He still eats great now that he's in a community tank. Hard to say if it was the shipping or the fact that he didn't ajust in time, but never was able to compete for food as much as the others.

It would be hard to "Spot" a runt in a group of young discus IMO, as anyone of them could end up as one.

-steve

Jeff
03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Very good example. Thanks for the pic.

BlueBull
03-03-2003, 02:16 PM
So what should we do with 'runts'? Will they live shorter lives or need special care?

Carol_Roberts
03-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I always keep some runts on hand to throw in the Q-tank with new arrivals to make sure the new fish aren't carrying anything

Aquarius
03-03-2003, 08:45 PM
My 6 year old wouldn't let me let this one go, so its in his tank. Other then that, nothing special, save for what Carol stated.

I also wanted to see how the 76F temp would have an effect. So far, nothing.. this little guy swims with the 2 angles back and forth all day in the front looking for food :)

-steve

SLY
03-03-2003, 10:17 PM
I always keep some runts on hand to throw in the Q-tank with new arrivals to make sure the new fish aren't carrying anything

Carol did u ever notice that runts are always tougher..they don't get sick that easily after they get stunted..this is what I have been observing and found out.

Carol_Roberts
03-03-2003, 10:50 PM
I hadn't really thought about it, but you may be right, Sly. They do hold their own with the big fish . . . .

SLY
03-03-2003, 10:56 PM
ya that's why I would never trust a runt hehe.

03-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey Sly,
I noticed some of the fish in your pictures look like they might have come from Mr. Jack Wattley, am I correct in assuming so? I ask because I have some babies i got from him recently and they are IDENTICAL to a couple of yours, especially the leopard and the snowflake. They look like they came from the same spawn!
Great thread guys. That picture of the runt is a good reference for beginners.

cedar
08-30-2015, 05:56 PM
This is a pic of a runt, the discus is around 7-8 months old. He still eats great now that he's in a community tank. Hard to say if it was the shipping or the fact that he didn't ajust in time, but never was able to compete for food as much as the others.

It would be hard to "Spot" a runt in a group of young discus IMO, as anyone of them could end up as one.

-steve

Hi there, if you could send me a picture of that runt you describe it would be appreciated. I can't seem to see the picture....

Larry Bugg
08-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Hi there, if you could send me a picture of that runt you describe it would be appreciated. I can't seem to see the picture....

This thread is 12 years old.

MadMatt
08-30-2015, 07:17 PM
I was just going to say that Larry!
Lol
12 year thread and people comment on it... Got to love a large forum!

Second Hand Pat
08-30-2015, 08:04 PM
It happens from time to time. Problem is many times the members involved in the thread are no longer active on Simply.
Pat