PDA

View Full Version : Carbon in Filter---Disease in Discus

Discmaniac
03-02-2003, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I just read a post that recommends against the use of carbon in the filter as it can cause disease in Discus.

Could someone elaborate on this please?

Thanks,

Bill

Carol_Roberts
03-02-2003, 01:38 PM
I can't elaborate as it's mostly anecdotal evidence. One theory is that carbon soaks up nasties to a point and then releases them back into the water. Another is that it strips some essential element. . . . Most of us use carbon only to remove meds.

Ardan
03-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi Bill,
I believe it relates to Hole in the Head disease, there is some info here I think http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1122

hth

Discmaniac
03-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info Carol and Ardan!

I put carbon in my filter to remove a medication for Ich about a week ago. One of my Blue Diamonds had some white spots on it which I don't think were Ich (misdiagnosis) and the fish is fine now. I forgot about the carbon until I read Ardan's post today!

I do have a fish health question though. My smallest, and most colorful Blue Diamond is almost off its food as of this morning. It mouthed a few BW's and spit most of them out. I saw it have a big black poop last nite before bed. This fish started hanging in the back and not acting its normal bullying self even though it's the smallest fish in the tank a few days ago. It has been eating, but not like the other three. This is not the fish that had the white spots. That fish is growing like a weed and eating like a pig.

Do you think it has an intestinal parasite?

I'm slowly turning up the temp.

I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Bill

Carol_Roberts
03-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Some Blue diamonds have a tendency to get constipated which makes them uncomfortable and not eat. (big cigar poop). Try adding Epsom salt and increase water changes for a few days and see if he perks up.

Discmaniac
03-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks Carol,

I'll try 2 tsp/10 g today and let you know if it does the trick.

Bill

Discmaniac
03-02-2003, 09:20 PM
After epsom salt and a 50% water change the little one is back to eating a little bit. He/she's also chasing the bigger Blue Diamond around and around.

Thanks much Carol,

Bill ;D

meri
03-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Speaking of carbon. Has anyone ever used or have any feedback on a filter medium called "chemi-pure" by Boyd Enterprises? On the bottle it states the following: "Fantastic for African Cichlids and Discus". It also states: Promotes aerobic bacterial growth and nitrification; removes dissolved organics; ravenous appetite; increased life span; eliminates fish loss due to unbalanced or polluted water, acidity and ph changes; no expensive water change-ever (I knew all of you would get a laugh out of that one!); necessary organisms allowed growth with no danger of pollution; always sparkling crystal clear blue-white water; no osmotic shock; removes copper, metal, ions, odors, all pollution, gases CO2, color Phenol; replacement varies depending on type of aquarium Chemi-Pure is used in, 1-6 months; neurological reactions-like fishes in natural habitat; no cleaning necessary for health of fish" Would love your feedback?
Thanks,
Meri (in usually :sun: So. California)

Carol_Roberts
03-03-2003, 05:54 PM
What's in it?
Removes all pollution, no water changes needed. LOL, When something sounds too good to be true . . . . .

Ardan
03-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Hi,
I used to use it. Expenxive and I think wc's are much better. It did get quite dirty and hard to clean. ALso the ph could never be adjusted. After learning about possible effects of carbon I stopped using it.

I prefer not to use it.

hth

meri
03-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks Carol and Ardan for your response. You are right Carol, when it sounds too good to be true, it probably IS! I stopped using carbon after reading about how dangerous it could be. Only use it to remove meds like most of you. I was just wondering if this was a product that any of you have had experience with. It does not say on the bottle what is in it other than the finest, most powerful activated carbons, and there are ionic exchange resins used in it as well. On there website: boydenterprisesonline.com/chemipure.html is some reading about this product for the more technical-minded bodies out there. Oh, Carol, what does LOL stand for? Yes, I am new to this!

Meri

Ardan
03-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi Meri
LOL= Laugh out loud

;D

daddyg70
03-04-2003, 01:27 AM
I have a question. I run two penguin 330s and the cartridges have carbon in it. Does anyone know of a cartridge for the penguin 330s that do not have carbon? I know cell-pore carries one but are hard to find. I do not want to buy an AQ500 if I can help it. Thanks.

Greg

Carol_Roberts
03-04-2003, 03:18 AM
Buy an Aqua Clear sponge and cut it to fit your penguin.

I really like the Cell Pore slabs. I used them in my emperors and when I took the emperors out of service I put the Cell Pore in an AC 500 on my heavily stocked African tank. Great product.