PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bully in the tank

espitzer
03-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Just got a new tank full of discus from Mike Wells and I noticed today that most of them are staying near the top, while the largest is chasing each of the others away if they get anywhere near. The largest is about 2 1/2 inches and there's others the same size and some a bit smaller. The ones staying near the top aren't gulping air and are feeding fine, but aren't doing what the discus in my other tank normally do, in terms of searching for food, just swimming around, etc.

I'm wondering if I've got a bully problem and if there's anyting I can do about it except remove the bully.

I've only had these guy together since Saturday. Thanks

DarkDiscus
03-03-2003, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it for the time being. Keep an eye on the fish, but they need to establish a pecking order and the big guy is trying to say that he's the boss.

This kind of thing is going to happen, and as long as no one is getting really beat up, it's fine.

John

Carol_Roberts
03-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Yes, you have a bully. If you have 6 or more they should work it out in a few days, but don't let the small guys go too long without eating.

espitzer
03-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on them (actually I can't stop watching them at this point-luckily I'm working from home this week). So far they're all eating fine.