PDA

View Full Version : What to do with water?

remikz
03-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Hello guys, I've been reading through your posts and I can see that you people are all professionals. I hope it's no trouble for me to bother you, but I am new to discus and a little confused ??? .

I have recently bought myself a Juwel Rio 240 (63 US Gallons) and guess what? I want to eventually keep discus in it. I know that I don't have to change the PH of my water, and I intend to use water straight from the tap.

My tap water PH is spot on Neutral, and it is soft. But surely there must be something, some conditioning I have to do to it before Discus will live in it (yes apart from DeChlorinate, and get the temp right).

Is there anything I need to do before my tapwater can become safe for Discus?

Thank you so much for any info!

--Ian

Don_Lee
03-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi Ian-Welcome to Simply Discus! Are you familiar with the cycling process? Water becomes "cycled" after exposure to ammonia, and through a series of chemical reactions ultimately there are bacteria available to "neutralize" ammonia to nitrate. You want your water to be cycled if at all possible. I would recommend referring to the precycling thread in this section for more details regarding this process.
Do you know the hardness of your water? It is a good thing to know generally speaking, if it is too soft it probably lacks nutrients and if it is too hard your discus will not like it.
Those are the biggest areas to address IMO.

HTH,

Don ;D

03-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi Ian,

What are yor plans for W/C and water preparation procedure ?
Are you planning to age you water ?

Ronald

remikz
03-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the replies, Yes I am currently cycling my tank right now. I am well aware of the nitrogen cycle, I'm new to Discus keeping, but quite expirienced with tropical fish.

My water is soft, I will get an excact reading for you but I belive it is just right for discus. My question is are there any treatments that I should be adding to it to be able to keep discus?

I'm not sure what you mean bye Ageing my water.

Thanks

--Ian

03-04-2003, 09:08 PM
I meant that before you use your water you let it in a bin or similar with air and heat (if necessary) for 24 hrs.
If you have clorine/cloramines in your Tap water it would be good to use that procedure to gas off. You also might then recognize a change in pH due to the off gassing.
For chloramines you might want to use a product like Prime or Amquell.

HTH Ronald

remikz
03-04-2003, 09:15 PM
My tap water contains chlorine, that I remove with Waterlife's 'Haloex'. I don't leave water overnight and the water doesn't ever change PH after i've added it to the tank. I'm thinking beyond these treatments, after the dechlorinator, should I be adding any other additives to the water to make it ok for discus? or will discus live in dechlorinated tapwater?

Thanks again

--Ian

03-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Yes they will.
I for my part do not use additional things. But I am also not using Tapwater, so maybe someone else has a answer to that.

Ronald

Ralph
03-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Ian, you are really lucky. I'd say most of us don't have such great water, somebody actually said they have a pH of 9.2, and my water is very hard.

Sounds like you are ready.

Good luck and keep posting.

03-04-2003, 09:42 PM
hehe That somebody was probably me.
My tap water is in the 9's before ageing. That's why I changed to RO.

Ronald

Carol_Roberts
03-04-2003, 10:52 PM
The water from your tap and the water in your tank is exactly the same pH - you are very lucky. I doubt we have many members who can say that. Clean, warm water of the same temperature and pH (with the chlorine removed) is all they need. Everyday at least 25% :heart1:

dm
03-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Let me see, soft neutral water that doesn't change pH right out of the tap? You don't need a room mate do you? I don't mind living in the basement. ;D

Ralph
03-04-2003, 11:30 PM
Sorry Ronald, it wasn't a personal attack. And don't feel bad, Dale and I have water almost the same as yours (we both use RO too).

03-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Ralph I honestly did not think it was a attack at all.

I'sent that R/O great ;D

Mick M
03-05-2003, 05:15 AM
Ian,
Allthough you say your water is fine regards pH etc..
I would run it through a heavy metal axe filter to remove chlorine,metals etc. As you are probably aware there are still some nasties in U.K. water supplies and the water co's are not legally obliged to tell us!
Give Mark a call on 01323 483943 and he will be able to give a more accurate assesment. Why not start with perfect water rather than just good water.
JMO.
Mick M.