PDA

View Full Version : Begginner Seeks advice

remikz
03-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Hello to you all, I am new to Discus and new to simplydiscus.com. I can see from browsing through the posts here that I will never be stuck when it comes to keeping Discus.

I have recently set-up a Juwel Rio 240 (63 US Gallon) tank that I intend to keep Discus in. I will be using soft water with a neutral PH that comes straight from my tap.

HERE is a picture of my tank as it currently looks: http://www.aoxe68.dsl.pipex.com/img/tank.jpg

I use 3 external filters on it:

Fluval 204 - Mechanical + Bilogical Filtration
Eheim ecco 2231 - Mechanical + Biological
Eheim Professional Wet/Dry Thermofilter 2327 - Stuffed with 5l of Efhi Substrat

I am awaiting 70 plants that I ordered from www.java-plants.co.uk. They are for a Discus tank so hopefully they should do ok.

My only questions are:

I want to buy my discus young 2" - How many and What kinds of discus do you reccomend?

When will my tank be ready for discus? -I know it will take a long time.

What important basic information should I know before attempting to keep discus?

Sorry if this post comes across as rude. I really appreciate and need as much advice and info as I can possibly get. Thank you so much in advance.

--Ian

DarkDiscus
03-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Ian,

Welcome to the board. My suggestion would be to do as follows: Learn from the plant-types on the board how to set up the best 63 gallon plant tank you can and get it going.

In the meantime, buy a 55 gallon tank and cheap (Aquaclear or sponge type or both) filter, heater and the basics.

While your plant tank gets healthy, buy 6-8 discus and keep them in 55 gallon. Grow them big and fat, using lots of water changes and lots of quality food. When they become adults and are completely gorgeous, move them to the 63 gallon, beautiful planted tank and enjoy.

JMHO,

John

DarkDiscus
03-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Ian,

Sorry, I forgot to include my reasoning: Discus like lots of waterchanges. Plants don't.

Your discus will thank you!

John

remikz
03-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply, and the help.

Unfortunatly I live with my parents and I'm just getting away with squeezing this 63 Gal tank in my room, so a 55 tank is out of the question.

At the end of the day it's the fish that are most important to me, if I lose the plants well so be it.

Thank you!

--Ian

DarkDiscus
03-04-2003, 01:21 PM
Ian,

Could you squeeze in a smaller tank, like a 30 gallon? That would probably suffice to get the discus going!

Your other option would be to buy some adult discus for your tank other than the little guys. It would be more expensive, but if you find the right source, you could get some at a reasonable rate and then you don't have to worry about them not growing properly in a planted tank. I would contact some of our other members from the UK and see what they can recommend.

I know there are some here who can offer you better advice on the planted discus tank than I can. And this is JMHO.

I also remember what space constraints can be like - just plan ahead and you will be fine!

John

remikz
03-04-2003, 01:40 PM
I have seen some really nice discus recently that are well coloured up and about 4 or 5" is this a good size?

Also how long should I wait before introducing Discus into the tank?

--Ian

Darren
03-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Ian,

I am by no means an expert but I can tell you based on my experience going BB without the plants and doing massive w/c's and good frequent feeding your fish will benefit the best and grow the best (especially for juvies). I've grown out three separate times, my 1st was a planted tank with gravel etc. and the last two BB, no plants. The ones BB without the plants I could keep the water quality much better and the fish grew faster and did better overall. JMO.

Maybe after you grow them out you could add the plants?

Good luck!

Darren

Carol_Roberts
03-04-2003, 10:08 PM
John (DarkDiscus) and Darren have both given you excellent advice.

Have you ever kept a planted tank of that size before? IF not (and since you have 70 plants on the way) I'd learn that aspect first. Several months from now when the tank is stable and you've perfected your plant skills, I'd get 4 to 6 larger, nearly fully grown discus to add to your show tank.

It is very difficult trying to learn both at the same time. Discus are different than other tropical fish. I'm afraid if you buy 2 inch discus in a few weeks they will still be 2 inches in a few months.

RAWesolowski
03-05-2003, 03:15 AM
Carol gives some good advice as does Darren and John. Small fish will be considerably less expensive but you should grow them out in a bare bottom tank. They grow much faster.

The planted tank will take a while to be established. If you treat the small fish well, your planted tanks should be just about right in three months and the 2 inch fish could be pushing 5 inches. You have lots of filtration that you can use on a 30 gallon bare bottom while the planted tank will require none.

Think I might do two tanks, your only investment in the bare bottom will be the tank, stand and space.

remikz
03-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone, I really appretiate all this advice. I will be honest, you are not telling me what I want to hear ;D . But I accept that I am in a difficult situation and I will go on your knowledge.

Beleive me I will put the Discus before anything else and I will care for them properly and to the bst of my abilities. A lot of money has gone into this because I really want to do it right.

Like I say, for now the plants ae not important. But they will be having a good head start on the fish as, I don't intend the tank to be ready for discus for a couple or more months.

Thanks again to everybody, :)

--Ian

larry lob
03-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Ian,

I hear you mate and know where your comming from (where in the uk are you).

you have had the oppinions and well lets face it it's not what you want to hear.

Wana flip side?

get your tank settled, go get your 2" fish and enjoy!

If 6 months down the road you feel your ready for a new battle and you feel your fish are not of the standard you want (growth) then trade em in, strip the tank and go again with bigger fish and a crap load more experiance.

your informed and been told in my eyes do what you want to do and simply is still here to try and help.

i hope you don't feel i have been rude or pushy it's just my way and i am on your side not having a go.

Do What Makes You Happy ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Larry

DarkDiscus
03-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Ian,

The key here is that while we're telling you things you don't want to hear, you are listening and considering the advice! Believe me, it's easy to ignore advice in favor of what you want to do!

If you can buy 4-5 5" fish (or bigger) to go in that planted tank, I think you will be in pretty good shape!

Keep us up to date on what happens!

Thanks!

John

larry lob
03-05-2003, 10:32 AM
sorry jhon,

was i out of line? i was just trying to say that even though we preach what is right some just have to do thier thing.

i agree ALL others advice was bang on i was just hoping he didn't run from discus.

Larry :)

DarkDiscus
03-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Larry,

Actually I think our posts just crossed - I just read yours now!

No, I also respect the opinion that people should just do what they want to do! It's how a lot of us learned what we did about fish in the first place. Trial and error.

From what Ian posts I think he'll make a great discus enthusiast! The advice can be a bit scary - I agree! Discus should NOT be intimidating - if you want discus, you should go for it! But I think it's better to learn from those who have made the mistakes before so you don't have to!

Speaking of this, you are one of the UK guys I was going to recommend to Ian to get some advice on where to get fish/what fish to buy!

;)

John

remikz
03-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks again guys. Yes I know what it is like to make mistakes with fish, and I work in an aquatics shop so i'm used to having people not take my advice too. But really i'm gonna take my time with these fish, i'm not in any rush. What's best for the the fish is best for me. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I know I can rely on you guys if I fall into some problems.

Larry: I live in Liverpool. Do you have any good tips on where to get my discus from, when I eventually do? I was thinking of going to Steve Punchard, but I beleive that there is a good discus breeder in Rhyl and Anglesey.

http://www.angleseydiscus.co.uk

Thanks again all

--Ian

larry lob
03-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi,

John thanks for the ^5 you know i totaly respect your oppinions as i do carols plus others here.

To be honest that thread about people shouldn't preach and just advise keep haunting me thats why i am seen lately to throw the flip side in on these kinda threads. :-* to all.

Ian i have heard good things about steve if it is the steve that mike m has visited but i have no personal knowledge of him.

Alot of my fish have come from clear water aquatics they are brothers that run a aquatic shop but also breed thier own fish plus bring stock in. every time i have delt with them in shop or mail order the are great and know more than i would care to about discus, yousof is the man to talk to they are in leicester, www.clearwateraquatics.co.uk the site is patchy but highly recomended by me.
but some of my fish come from LFS when i am IMPRESSED with the fish concerned, max quarenteen and slow choices are recomended this way, Miaden head aquatics in mill hill have GOOD fish from time to time but tread careful i have been biten.

Anything else you care to ask.....you'll sure get an oppinion lol

HTH

Larry