PDA

View Full Version : another fry food...Deer/beefheart dehydrated

brewmaster15
03-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi everyone ,
Tried another food experiment. It was a good year for me as far as hunting goes, ... not That I hunt, but I have many friends that do. The Freezer is full of deer, and I decided to make some Jerky from the leanest pieces.

Thinking about the beef heart mixes and all, I figured I would try to feed the deer to my discus. All of this I thought of as I ground a fresh pile of coffee beans up for a mug of Java.

Then it hit me.. grind the jerky, and use it as fry food. The results of a coffee grinder on the dried venison gives you a powder mixed with small muscle fibers that are about the size of planeria, copepods and BBS. I just mixed a little with water and let it sit a few minutes. Then feed. It's working really well.

Those of you that make beef heart, and have a dehydrator, Try making a batch and dehydrate, then grind. It may wind up being a great inexpensive fry food. Let me know how you make out. I'm still testing it. But it seems like a great way to get vitamens into the fry.

hth,
al

03-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Hey Al that's pretty cool...... How long have you been feeding this jerky to the fry?

Have you seen any good growth compared to beef heart?

I did a little deer hunting this year and made my first kill ;D as you know and was thinking about trying to make a batch of deer heart ( I needed more hearts as well ) but really wasn't sure how safe it would have been?

Beth

gary1218
03-04-2003, 11:15 PM
What about making mouth size pellets for larger discus?

GARY

PS I'm curious to see the discus when the males start sprouting antlers ;D

DavidAJ
03-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Brew any updates on the venison ?
I too have an enormous supply of venison , I usually dry it for myself when I go fishing. I Talked to one of my hunting friends (not that I do) about deer heart as opposed to beef heart and he knows his stuff , and all and all he sees no reason why not to use it ..... no hormones , no artificial nothing . I might try it .

But the idea of using it as fry food ...or making it a bit bigger for larger fish is quite intruiging.

Keep us all posted

David

brewmaster15
03-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi David,
Its been working great so far. The discus love it. If you have a dehydrator... give it a try...dry it and grind in a coffee grinder for fry, and if large fish, just feed it to them as if it was beefheart.

If you try it let me know how you make out!

take care,
al