PDA

View Full Version : Gilfriend's Angel tank??

RXTrev
03-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Well it's official... I'm whipped.
I just tore down one of my tanks and turned it into an angel tank for my girlfriend on Sunday night. She had a misfit tank full of goldfish, angels, barbs, neons, everything that shouldn't mix. She never EVER cleaned it to my dismay. We took the random fish of hers to the LFS, except the angels. I had bought her some angels for her tank earlier a week before since the store had a special on them (they are really pretty and will get some pics of them shortly) they were the only things in the tank besides 3 synodontis cats and a CAE. Everything was fine until I moved the tank to her house sunday night and found out my python didn't fit any faucet in her house ??? So I had to drain her 20L with a bowl and fill my 29 with it. Our city water is hard and has a high pH around 8-8.4, but I have lots of driftwood and use RO/tap mix for my tanks so my pH is 6.9-7.0 for my 55g discus tank, and now the temp. 29g angel tank. But she just used tap water in her tanks with conditioner, so her angels had a high pH. I've read a lot on pH and have found that supposedly fish can adapt better to a higher pH than vice versa, so I began raising my pH in my tank (using less RO in mix) before I moved it. It was around 7.5-7.6 when I tore the tank down. It was a planted tank before but didn't have any rooted plants, since I was doing angels I figured I should use sword plants and decided that I needed flourite as a substrate and this would be the perfect time to change it over. I left some of the previous rock on the bottom to make sure some bacteria was leftover(as well as the filter cartidges in my filters), then added the flourite and a small bag of black gravel (she wanted black gravel so we compromised). I used conditioned aged tap water to fill the tank along with 10 gallons of my tank water from before. Well everything, especially the fish, seems to be fine except 3 things. She had told me she saw a silvery worm swim in the water last night and one of the angels ate it, should I be worried about that??? I've heard of white worms, but I've heard them come about from overfeeding and low maintenanced tanks which neither I do or have. Could they have been attached to a plant I just got that night? I do have a small snail population from a previous plant. Also one angel did die, my favorite one, it was an albino which seemed to be doing fine monday morning, but the fish looked like it had been picked on at the LFS before I decided to chance it and try to bring it back to health. It probably didnt like the bright plant lights either, although with the swords and driftwood it had plenty of shade. The last problem is that one of her previous angels she says has that "red streak" blood line thing in its fins (too lazy to look it up :P) and that it is red around its mouth too. The only thing I can think that would have changed in the water conditions is the pH. Could that have stressed them out enough to make them vulnerable for disease? I am going to look at the fish and tank before I decide what to do, she gets paranoid sometimes. What would be a good treatment though if it does have that, I've never had it with my other fish before so I don't know about it much. Didn't know where to post this, but I figure there are some discus people with angels. BTW I just found the site, its wonderful!!!!
Thanks all!!!

O and one more thing...I have another 55g which I am going to have discus in as soon as the batch is ready...my question is that I have heard angels carry disease that is fairly harmless to them, but harmful to discus, would it be a problem if I kept some angels in that until the discus are ready? I'm waiting to see which angels pair up and figure I will have to move a few.

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
03-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi RXTrev ;D
First of all...That was a Whole lot of work you did there :o.... You aren't Whipped are ya! ;) ;) ;D just kidden ya.. That was really nice of you to help her out.

Okay..... I was reading down you're post, Logging answers in my Brain to reply....
after about the fifth Answer my Brain Fried! :fried:...
I am here... as I am sure there are others that can help you out.
Can you give us a Update? Is there still a problem with this one angel? Could be several things, Stress the move, Water conditions.. Don't medicate for now.
IMO I would not mess with the Ph... I am sure being moved and getting proper care will be enough for them for the time being.
The Plant Questions.. I am Really good at PLASTIC plants...Rip them out... Clean them.. Throw them away when I am sick of that type...... does that help?? LOL
Angels and Discus together.. that is ONE of the Many Top ten arguments in the Discus world.
IMO and only mine.. I would not keep them together AS... I only Kept Discus with MORE Discus ;D
Angels have their own house! ;D
Lots do it.. Lots have had No problems.

Give us a update if you can and we will go from there. ;D

Hope all is Well!
I like you're signature thing about swimming pools! LMAO!
My Dad always says to me "WHY DON'T YOU JUST PLEXI GLASS ALL THE WINDOWS AND HAND OUT SCUBA GEAR AT THE DOOR! >:( >:( >:(" Still working on those plans..... ;D.

Karen :gorgeous: