PDA

View Full Version : How to select fries?

wo
03-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi,

I have a batch of 3+weeks fries now and want to select the best ten fries. Because I can not keep so many fries and my friends are coming to get the rest on this weekend. Any tips for selecting the best in coloration and body shapes in the future? Thanks!

I recently find a small photo gallery worth seeing but is in Chinese. You can click the button to see the pictures.

http://www.avdiscus.com.tw/discus/DATA/02/02-01.htm

Ralph
03-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Mayonaise? Is that a Florida thing?

Fries that young, it's a bit of a gamble. Obvious defects are out of course. Go for the biggest and roundest, but there is no guarantees at that age. Depending on the discus variety, you might see some color variations.

Good luck

wo
03-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Ralph, Thanks a lot. I am new in discus breeding. It will be my first and last discus breeding experience. I never know fry raising could be such a hard work. Thanks for your advise. I will try to pick the best ten and give the others to my friends.

Carol_Roberts
03-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Over time the biggest, roundest ones stay biggest and roundest. If they are a pigeon cross pick the cleanest ones.

wo
03-06-2003, 12:29 PM
Carol:

Thanks for your reply. I am observing the biggest and roundest ones this couple days. I plan to put their parents back to the community tank first because they still protect their youngsters whenever I appear. They are a pair of browns. Among the most of the fries who already show the red color on fins. However, there are 3 fries that are white and transparent color. Are they mutant or are they sick? Thanks!

roger
03-06-2003, 02:26 PM
I believe that Snowflake discus are based off of browns so you might be seeing that. It could also be that your getting some ghosts as well.

Peace,
Roger

wo
03-08-2003, 12:27 AM
Roger,

Thanks you. As you point out, I think the 3 might be ghost discus. Because the other fries already show the red on their fins and they are still transparent now.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Carol_Roberts
03-08-2003, 01:59 AM
Interesting color variation. It might just be the photo, but the one in the center looks rounder than the other too.

wo
03-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi, Carol

Could this kind of transparent are caused by parasite or disease? I will keep one to see how it delevope. They will be at my friend's house so I can see them any time I want.
The photo below is a close look.

Carol_Roberts
03-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Pigeons look clear or pale tan at that age. I don't see stress bars - maybe golden or snowflake?

Willie
03-10-2003, 08:02 AM
If you pick the largest ones, you run the risk of getting only males.

Willie

wo
03-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Hi Willie:

Thanks. Well, I gave the rest to my friends yesterday. I only keep the largest 10. Hope I get good luck.

April
03-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Hope you kept a whitish one...we'd be interested to know how it turns out.
we'd love to see pics later on. Happy growing. 8)

wo
03-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Hi April,

Yes, I do keep two whitish ones. I try to find out they are mutant or sick. Thanks. I will post more as they grow.