PDA

View Full Version : new fish still not really eating

Qbal18
03-06-2003, 09:52 PM
i got 3 more discus on tues, i fed them in the store myself and they ate very good. but since i have had them at my place they have not relly even tuch the food is it common for them to not eat that much at first they all look very healthy, active and color full.

the only thing i did witch i now know i rellt probally should not have was i got them 2 days after the store got them all in i was in thestore when they first came in watched them for 1 hr and went back 2 days later and watched them for another 1 hr and then when pick 6 of them i liked fed them and took the 3 most active of hte bunch i liked. but now they are not eating my food at all.

April
03-06-2003, 11:49 PM
Are the three discus in a tank by themselves? young discus need a group of 6 or more to feel secure. or are they with others who are more established and bigger?
Be very careful buying discus from lfs in small quantities and keep adding...sooner or later.....you could get a virus. where did you get them? Hows their colour etc?

Qbal18
03-07-2003, 12:05 AM
i got them from pauls (or somethinglike that i forget the name) but they look very good in color and everything i intend to keep them in quorentine for 3 weeks or so and put them in my larger tank with my other 2 i know i should have got all at the same time form the same place but i foudl 2 difernts places that i really like a few from each.

Qbal18
03-07-2003, 12:11 AM
here is a pic:
http://www3.telus.net/public/a5a32469/new%20discus.JPG

keith_cny
03-07-2003, 12:34 AM
I just went through this a month ago. Carol helped me through it. It is not uncommon for new fish to not eat immediately. My last 3 had been in transport for 4 - 5 hours and took almost 2 days to start to eat. It was probably a couple more before they were eating well. Just be patient.

Did you happen to check the ph of the water they were in at LFS? What is the ph of the water you put them in? What were they eating at the LFS and what are you trying to feed them now? CBW's may be the best food to entice them back eating.

03-07-2003, 07:09 AM
Slowly raise the temp to 88-90 degree and add 1 table spoon of salt to start. If they nibble on the salt or drink the melted salt. Start feeding them with a little bit of frozen blood worm. if no action in 4 hours. Add another table spoon of salt and wait. They will come around. Replace the lost salt after W/C. You can't overdose with salt.
Jimmy.

DarkDiscus
03-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Q-bal,

I have to say you have some excellent advice here! I will also add that my fish took a few days to settle in and start eating...

Just give them time and some heat and they will be eating before you know it!

John

Carol_Roberts
03-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks for posting the picture. Your new little fish are in good condition. JimmyL gave you detailed instructions on how to encourage new discus to eat. Just follow them and relax. :heart1:

amirnezhad
03-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I am new to Discus too, There is a question for me about epsom salt, I knwo that the main subject of this topic is not about epsom salt but there is some posts about epsom salt here :)
I used epsom salt for my fishes one time that they had some illness but now my fishes are colorfull and eat very good without adding any epsom salt after W/C, but sometimes when I read posts, it seems that I have to use epsom salt every time after W/C? Is this right or what? I have 30% of W/C each day

Carol_Roberts
03-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Hi Ali:
Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) is only used when your discus are constipated or bloated from eating too much.

Table salt (sodium chloride) is used as a stress reliever for new discus or sick discus. You don't keep it in the tank all the time.