PDA

View Full Version : tough to breed

mud-e-toes
03-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Hi Forum Members,
Being new here and also relatively new to keeping discus, I am in awe of all the know-how that are in this place. I have not bred any discus yet, but would like to know what are some of the more difficult strains to breed. Would be thankful for any experience shared.

Ralph
03-06-2003, 10:17 PM
The Grail of discus breeding is Heckel to Heckel, it's been done but not by many. But in general, with the right conditions, discus breed easily. It takes a lot of time, knowledge, and expence which is the reason there are not a lot of professional breeders. And the risk can be great too.
Probably the real ideal of most breeders is to create their own variety. That takes knowledge of genetics and many years of crossbreeding, etc. to complete.
I like your alias.

03-07-2003, 07:28 AM
The Curipera is the toughest of them all. They were just discovered 4 years ago and only caught 64 the first year and less than 200 the subsequent years. So far there are only 2 German Wild EXperts able to breed them successful in the world. One of the is an Engineer in a water treatment company manufacturing treatment units for big industry. He has a million dollars prototype water treatment facility in his basement to maintain a very acidic water with extremely low conductivity from crashing. From the pic. You'll understand why they want to breed this fish.
Jimmy.

03-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Thats interesting Jimmy.
But...dont you think that the low...or no success rate at this stage is due to the sheer low numbers(250+) in captivity at the moment? And to add to that, I wouldnt think that all 250+ are involved in breeding programs.
Wasnt Dennis H. having some success with this type?

Compare this with the tens of thousands of Heckles in captivity....and the low success rate with them.(rarely)
At this stage...I think I would still consider the Heckle as challenge #1.

Didnt Dennis also breed Heckle to Heckle?....maybe he'll be the man to breed the Curipera's also?

Tony

03-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Dennis was successful in Breeding Heckel X Heckel few years back. Curipera will be a real challenge for him. So far he had them laying eggs but no hatching yet. If any body can do it. It got to be Dennis. I'm trying to breed them in parameters of Ph7.8, MS 480, temp.-84. Wish me luck. "LOL"
Jimmy.

gang_mary
03-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Jimmy,
I know the third man had success with Curipera.His name is Fujii from Japan,and this is his home page-Red Discus
http://hw001.gate01.com/fujii/

Lee

03-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks Lee. the Japanese have bought the majority of all Curipera. Learn something new today.
Jimmy.

Dennis_Hardenburge
03-07-2003, 10:57 PM
I might as well add my two cents worth.
To my understanding there are about 400 captive curipera with 60 in Canda and the USA and the rest overseas.
How many of these are with people seriously trying to breed who knows.
I went overboard after recieveing my first few, I just fell in love with them and now have 16 curipera, eight of these are very young and I doubt will be of age to breed for a year yet. Out of the other eight I have one pair that have spawned four times now, first three times the eggs were eaten and the fourth time they all fungused and I removed them on the fifth day, I think the male is still to young.
I have an older female with a domestic male that has been cleaning a spawning site for two months but no eggs yet, one other pair is forming.
Jimmy I am glad you have confidence in me, after what I have spent the wife will kill me if I don't get some kind of return out of them, ha ha.
I need to get busy and take some new pictures, some are almost solid red, some have a few striations and it looks like a few will be fully striated fish, so there is some variation in them.
I have to agree with Tony that heckel X heckel is probably the greatest chalange as far as breeding.
Dennis

amirnezhad
03-08-2003, 12:07 AM
Hi,

Can any one say that what is the best and most simple type of Discus to breed for the beginers?

Steve_Warner
03-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Hi all,
What are the native conditions of the Curipera as far as water is concerned? Where do they come from? Hmmmmmmmmm, intriguing!

Steve

kevster
03-08-2003, 12:21 AM
Dennis

If these discus are so difficult to breed and so rare why would you leave the eggs with the parents and take the chance they would get eaten.
Especially when it happened more than once.
kevster

Dennis_Hardenburge
03-08-2003, 02:07 AM
Ali
I would say the easyest to work with would be the red turquoise, domestic browns, cobalts, some of the older strains.

Kevster
I don't have the time to raise artificially, or don't care to.
Most young pairs go through a learning process and I have never had a problem training them to not eat eggs.
The last spawn with this pair of curipera they were still tending the eggs on day five even with them all fungused.
I exspect the male will be mature enough to fertilize the eggs with in the next couple of spawnings.
I am not so sure the curipera are rare or are hard to breed.
They come from a remote area and have only been exported for four years and not many have been brought out, is this because they are rare or is it just because it is so remote that it isn't worth it for people to go there, I honestly can't answer that, and I haven't had them long enough to say whether they are a hard fish to breed or not.

Steve
I am not sure the exact location the curipera are caught, just the general area, or the exact water perameters, I can make an educated guess, then it is all trail and error, and patience.

Dennis

mud-e-toes
03-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. With my limited experience, I should avoid keeping the heckles and curipera for now and I hope Jimmy and Dennis will have great success with their curiperas. My lfs did mentioned something about the newer breeds being harder to breed too, is there any truth to that? As always, am greatful for any insight.